vii. Train

기차

기차

THE FOLLOWING DAY consisted of a few more visits to various restaurants that Yuri had been invited to. The events from the previous night hadn't disappeared from her mind, including her unplanned rendezvous with the strange boy she'd met weeks prior.

Taehyung seemed to enjoy the night, something that Yuri knew considering the FaceTime call she got from him that morning, when he freaked out in Jimin's very own bathroom, replaying the memory of the night before to Yuri. Her and Jieun had ended up taking a taxi home the night before, as Taehyung had decided to 'stop by' Jimin's house for some 'tea'.

The sun had set, the bright moonlight shining the narrow road she had been walking home on, just on the outside of the main road, nearby the train tracks. The short little two-foot fence that separated her and the train tracks was covered with overgrown leaves and stems with small flowers, closed and sleeping in the moonlight.

Yuri glanced at the train tracks, fixing her bag on her shoulder as a faint memory crossed her mind.

The year was 1928, 4 years after she had fallen in love with Jisung and 3 months after they'd decided to move to Daegu after a few suspected Yuri of being a Roamer. They had taken a train from Seoul, a rather slow journey compared to what it was in recent times. Yuri would sometimes be amazed at how quickly technology and transportation had evolved since she was born.

She could remember the smell in the air as she stood at the back balcony of the train with Jisung, the wind blowing through their hair as their hands intertwined, an exciting overlook at their life in Daegu as soulmates.

Except they weren't, which Yuri would not have found out yet until years later.

The sudden faint sound of a train horn brought Yuri out of her thoughts, hearing the rumbles of an oncoming train. Glancing at the train tracks, she noticed the far away lights shining on the rocks as the rumbling got louder.

As she looked forward again, she noticed something else on the train tracks, a figure walking slowly on them. In the middle of the train tracks.

Yuri's eyes widened as she suddenly jumped over the small fence, dropping her bag as she broke out into a sprint toward the figure. As she got closer, the oncoming train's lights shined onto them, a black jean jacket framing the man as he continued his slow prance down the tracks.

Is this man out of his mind? Yuri panted as she sprinted toward him, sparing glances at the train nearly 50 feet away as she neared the man. The sound of the train horn echoed deafeningly in her ears as she reached him, tackling him off of the tracks. They rolled down the slight hill beneath them, the rows of rocks and pebbles stinging at her sides as the train blew past.

She fell onto top of the man's chest, grunting as she pulled back and landed on her bottom, her own sweater absolutely ruined by the fall.

The man slowly sat up, his own face scrunched up in a disgruntled expression as he ran a hand through his dark hair, allowing Yuri to see his face for the first time.