xxii. Fear

두려움

두려움

A SUDDEN VIBRATION of her phone shook Yuri from her slumber, her entire mattress nearly being affected by the repeated vibrations. She tossed and turned for a bit and the vibrations ceased; however, within another ten seconds, it began again.

With a huff, Yuri rolled over in her bed to grasp at her phone, finally opening her eyes to see a pitch black room. It must have been the middle of the night.

She squinted at the brightness of her screen as her eyes began to adjust enough to see the name, Jeon Jungkook, brightly. Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion before she hurriedly answered the call, pressing the phone to her ear. Something urgent must have happened, considering it was still dark outside and he made a phone call rather than a text like usual.

"Jungkook?" Yuri spoke up, her voice unsurprisingly raspy considering she'd just woken up.

"Yuri? I-I'm sorry if I woke you up, I know it's three in the morning but I couldn't sleep," said Jungkook through the phone, his voice fragile and his breathing pace unsteady.

"Did something happen? Are you okay?" she asked.

"The police called me just a few minutes ago, t-they said that the hitman escaped from jail!" he cried. "Apparently someone broke him out! What if he comes back? I-I have a knife under my bed for protection but-"

"Jungkook, don't worry," she interrupted, scratching her eyes tiredly. "The police should already be on their way to be on patrol around your house."

"Yeah, they said that," he sighed. "But the present-day police suck at their job! How do people even break out of jail these days? I thought that only happens in the movies," he wailed, causing a playful yet lazy chuckle to fall from Yuri's mouth as she leaned back onto her pillow.

"Do you want me to come over there?" Yuri asked, even though her eyes were closing already.

"Of course," he mumbled. "But as much as I want to be with you, I want you to get your sleep too."

"You should sleep, Jungkook. It's not healthy to be up this late," she said into her phone. "Promise me you will get some rest?"

Jungkook hesitated before sighing in defeat. "I promise. Have fun reviewing that one restaurant tomorrow. Taste the wine for me!"

"Sure thing," she smiled as she remembered that she had to be at a restaurant the next day for a review. "Goodnight, angel."

"Goodnight, Yuri. Sweet dreams," he calmly replied before she hung up, hugging her phone to her chest. As much as she wanted to get up and drive to Jungkook's house in that moment, she knew she shouldn't due to her schedule the next day, settling for drifting off to sleep with Jungkook on her mind.

-

Yuri wiped the corners of her mouth with her white napkin before picking up her pen and notebook, ready to write after eating the most expensive meal on the menu at the restaurant she was reviewing. From the corner of her eyes, she could see some of the staff peeking over to her, carefully watching her facial expression that never faltered to their demise. She was a professional, having been a critic for about twenty years, and loved to leave these restaurants on their toes until her reviews would be posted on the Internet.

As she glanced around the restaurant once more, she noticed a rather peculiar man sitting down at a table across the room, alone and by the window. He was wearing a tuxedo, considering it was a fancy restaurant and Yuri was wearing a dress herself, though there was something about him that seemed oddly familiar.

When her eyes lingered on him for an extra second, that's when it clicked inside her.

The faded rose tattoo... bald ... Genghis Khan. Holy shit. It's the man who attacked Jungkook.

Before she could even think any more, she felt anger run through her veins as she glared at the man, shocked and infuriated by his audacity to be able to eat in a place like this after attacking her soulmate.

She watched as he suddenly stood up from his seat, fixing his tuxedo before making his way toward the bathroom, which conveniently meant that he would pass Yuri.

She impulsively grabbed onto the steak knife at her table that she'd previously used, tucking it under the table as she waited for him to pass.

If he's going to the bathroom, why don't I join him? she thought, and within a second after he passed by her, she gently stood up, following behind him.

When he made his way in front of the restroom where it was about to be split between the male and female bathrooms, he was suddenly pushed into the open handicap stall in front of him, where he tumbled onto the floor.

In came Yuri, quickly shutting the door from behind her as she glared at the man who quickly rose to his feet in shock. The automatic lights switched on, letting the man finally see her face. Before he could do anything, she pulled out the knife and pinned him against the wall, holding it up to his throat as he let out a strangled cry. She balled her fist into his collar, causing him to pull his head back in retaliation.

"What- What's going on?!" he wailed as he put his hands up in defense. His breath hitched as he winced at the sting on his neck, where Yuri had put just a little pressure with the steak knife.

"You have some nerve showing up to a restaurant like this after escaping from jail," she seethed and tightened her grip around his collar.

"W-Who are you?" he asked wearily.

"The soulmate of the boy you attacked," she gritted her teeth before pulling him back, only to shove him against the wall again roughly. He yelped out from the pain on the back of his head before a series of dramatic sobs fell from his mouth.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry! Don't hurt me," he whimpered. "I-I was only following orders!"

"Who's orders?" she furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

"I-I don't know her name, nobody knows her name, hell, I'm not even sure they're a her," he panted. "We only know her as the Dark Lord. You know? Like Voldemort?"

"Who?" she squinted at him.

"Nevermind," he suddenly let out a sigh of defeat, as she didn't understand his reference. Tired of his jokes, Yuri fixed her grip on the knife and he immediately took notice. "Okay, okay! S-She has a pearl bracelet, I saw it once. And her hands are really pretty," he looked away in thought before a stupid smile popped onto his face. She increased the pressure of the blade on his neck, which promptly brought him back to reality.

He's an airhead.

"Please don't call the police. I'm trying to mend my ways. I'm not a killer, I promise! I just like money! And she's not offering me a lot, so I'm thinking of running away!" he defended himself.

Yuri scoffed before suddenly pushing off of him, causing him to flinch from the actions. She pointed the knife at him, seeing the way his eyes widened in innocence.

"If I ever see you again, I'm going to put a knife in the same place you put one in my boyfriend, and I will make sure nobody finds you," she warned, prompting the man to engage in a fit of quick nods.

"Yes, yes," he nodded, rubbing the red spot on his neck. "Yes, I promise. You have my word, yes."

Yuri rolled her eyes once before stepping out of the bathroom, sticking the knife in between the door as a cherry on top. She walked away, faintly hearing harsh knocks on the bathroom door as she picked up her things, ready to leave.