xvii. Promise

약속

약속

YURI KNOCKED TAEHYUNG'S door in a haste, unsure if he was even awake. The sound of her sobs filled the silence of the hallway as she waited for the door to open, mentally pleading Taehyung would be home or awake. She needed someone.

She felt her phone buzz in her sweatpants pocket once again, knowing it to be one of Jungkook's calls or texts that he had been sending her within the past hour of her traveling to Taehyung's house, which she was ignoring. She felt terrible leaving like that, but she was so afraid to stay with him. Of showing this side of her. She let someone steal something that was supposed to be Jisung's only; her body. Her lips, her touch. She couldn't forgive herself.

She was in this never-ending self-destructive cycle of her own making, and she wondered why she was making it impossible to let herself be happy. Why she was trying to make it so difficult to be with her soulmate, Jungkook, who she had adored with her heart and wanted to be with, yet would still always look back to Jisung as if he were alive, feeling as though he would think of it as betrayal.

Dragging her out of her destructive thoughts was the sound of the door in front of her opening, revealing Taehyung, a curious look on his face as his eyes met hers. Once he saw her expression and the tears on her cheeks, he immediately opened the door wider, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Yuri, what the hell happened?" he asked gently, slowly grabbing onto her arm to help her inside. As soon as the door closed, Yuri let herself bury her face into Taehyung's chest, sobbing uncontrollably. His face scrunched in worry as he held her, rubbing her back soothingly as he waited for her cries to subside. And they did within a few minutes. "Come inside and explain to me what happened," he softly suggested, Yuri nodding at the ground in approval before following him inside his quite large house, considering he was pretty rich as well.

She took a seat onto his couch, her actions mirroring how she sat onto Jungkook's couch earlier that evening, the memories replaying in her head as she tried her best not to cry once again. Taehyung sat on the couch beside her, crossing his legs and facing her.

"I... Jungkook kissed me," she breathed out, looking up at the ceiling to avoid any more tears from falling from her eyes.

"Jungkook kissed you?" Taehyung repeated, blinking in shock at the fact that it seemed like the end of the world for her. "Can you explain to me why it was wrong?" he asked carefully.

"I-It was my first kiss since... Jisung passed away," she stuttered, saying his name for the first time to Taehyung, who had only barely known about his tale, only knowing him to be her first love. This was a rare side of Yuri in which he'd never seen, so vulnerable and sensitive that made Taehyung promise to himself that he would try to be the best friend she could count on. "I just... I felt so guilty," her voice began to break, betraying her attempts to keep the crying at bay. "I pushed him off and ran away."