xxiii. Wish

소망

소망

THE ENCOUNTER WITH the hitman continued to linger in Yuri's mind throughout the next week, even as she sat in Taehyung's empty and lowly lit restaurant past closing, sipping a glass of vodka with the boy who had called her over to talk. Something had happened with Jimin and the baseball game they went to, where Jimin caught a foul ball or something-- she wasn't exactly paying attention. There was always an internal tug-of-war in her head.

Was it the right thing to do to let him go? She would ask herself. He was an airhead, yet he seemed smart enough that he wouldn't bother risking it with Jungkook again.

She couldn't fathom thinking about Jungkook in pain again. If anything were to happen to him again, well, she wasn't sure if she could take another near heart attack.

"Yuri? Hello?" Taehyung waved a hand in front of her face as he interrupted his own story, shifting in his place behind the bar. Yuri blinked away from the spot on the bar table her eyes had been glued to, resting them on Taehyung who had looked at her expectantly. "Everything okay? Your mind is somewhere else."

"Apologies, I just... something happened the other day," she spoke up, scratching her eyes tiredly, regretting it after remembering the mascara she had on her eyelashes. She downed the rest of her glass, placing it back onto the table only for him to fill it up again. "Please do not tell Jungkook, or anyone, that I told you this."

Taehyung's eyebrows raised as his curiosity was piqued. "What is it? Are you in some sort of crime ring that I shouldn't know about?" he asked playfully.

"What? No, that's absurd," she scoffed. "Do you remember when Jungkook got attacked in his home?"

"I vividly remember that night," Taehyung frowned suddenly, slowly taking his glass of scotch to his lips.

"He wasn't attacked by a burglar as I said," Yuri sighed. "It was a hitman."

"Huh? A hitman? Like Angelina Jolie hitman?" he raised his eyebrows and widened his eyes at her. She had no idea why everyone was making these analogies of a hitman with Angelina Jolie, but it didn't matter.

"I-Yes," she nodded, running a hand through her hair before taking a sip of her vodka, squinting at the taste. "An Angelina Jolie hitman."

"But why? Why would someone pay to kill Jungkook?" he asked worriedly, crossing his arms against the bar table as he leaned closer.

"I don't know. But I saw them the other day at a restaurant. The hitman," she said.

"No way," he scowled. "Did you say anything to the asshole?"

"Well... I did do something, yes," Yuri tilted her head timidly. "I threw him into the handicap bathroom and threatened him with a steak knife to his neck."