xxvi. Silence

Mature content. Reader discretion is advised.

 고요

고요

JUNGKOOK'S EYES SLOWLY opened, blinking rapidly as his ears rang from the gunshot. He wasn't shot; not yet, at least. His eyes travelled to the girl on the ground, scanning her in fear as his stomach folded. She wasn't hurt either, her eyes widened at the girl who Jungkook remembered was beside him, except he didn't feel the gun to his head anymore.

Jungkook's head slowly turned to see Jieun, bent over in pain with her hand tucked against her stomach as she grunted in pain. She was on the ground, her back hunched over. The gun was on the floor, much to Jungkook's relief, but the confusion was stirring in his head and making his mind fuzzy.

He watched as Jieun's gaze turned to a place behind him, where her eyes landed on a familiar figure, who had held his own handgun in his hand.

"Taehyung," Jieun grunted, her expression a mix of pain and confusion. She held her bloody hand to her stomach as the boy ran to Jungkook, hurriedly cutting him from the ropes with the pocket knife he took out of his pocket. His hands fell free, his wrists red and scratched as he stood up. As he realized his legs were too wobbly and weak, he collapsed onto the floor, his palms landing on the concrete.

When he saw Yuri's obvious struggle, Taehyung hurried to her where he cut her loose as well. As soon as she was free, she hurriedly crawled to Jungkook, engulfing him in a tight embrace on the ground as she cried. She pulled away, pressing her hands to his cheeks, her hands staining from the blood that was beginning to dry on Jungkook's pale skin. Jungkook leaned into her arms, resting his head into her neck as he sobbed.

"I'm sorry, Jieun," Taehyung sighed as he looked down at the girl on the ground. "But you chose the most obvious place to plan a murder."

"How did you know?" Jieun grumbled, holding her wounded hand.

"They had trackers on their phone," he answered. "Yuri wasn't answering her calls, so I tracked her and she was on the outskirts of town. Of course I came here."

"Why are you protecting her?" Jieun asked softly, slowly standing up and grunting from the action. "We've been friends forever, Taehyung. We love each other."

"Didn't you just say you would never be friends with a Roamer?" Taehyung cocked his eyebrow. "The police are coming, Jieun. It's over."

"Is it?" she panted before bringing the gun she had sneakily picked up, pointing it toward Yuri and Jungkook on the ground. Taehyung pulled out his gun quickly in response, hesitantly pointing at his best friend. Yuri hurriedly covered Jungkook with her own body, shooting a glare toward Jieun as she protected him.

"Jieun, put the gun down," Taehyung said calmly, carefully as he watched her face contort in anger. "We don't have to do this."

There was a pause of hesitation from Jieun, her eyes faltering as she looked at Yuri. Then, there was a look of determination that was harder to read, her eyes becoming darker. The three watched in horror as she slowly began to bring the gun to her chin.

"Jieun, wait!" Taehyung widened his eyes.

"You'll get what's coming to you," Jieun warned Yuri before pulling the trigger, emitting a loud gunshot as the bullet punctured her own skin.

Yuri gasped and covered Jungkook's eyes, the gunshot making the two jump as she watched her best friend fall onto the floor, a pool of blood beginning to form on the bland concrete.

The warehouse was only filled with the sound of Jungkook's cries as Taehyung stood still, his eyes glued to the body of his best friend on the floor.

They stayed there, silent for a few long seconds until the sound of police sirens filled their ears.