Chapter 3:Their History With Wen Ruyu

Quite some time had passed since the group met Wen Ruyu and he had gotten to know him more.

Lan Sizhui learned some medical knowledge from the man throughout their journey, adding to the little that Wen Ning taught him when he was younger.

Ouyang Zizhen had begun to converse with him as well.

The rest of the group, despite beginning to trust the man were still wary of him. They were reluctant to start a pleasant conversation, much less entrust him with the truth, though Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian trusted him enough to allow Lan Sizhui to speak with the man unsupervised.

Lan Jingyi wasn't taking any chances though and always made sure to watch over his fellow Lan whenever he approached Wen Ruyu.

~~~

One time, while Wei Wuxian was playing a song with Chenqing, Wen Ruyu approached him. "Sorry to bother you, Sir Wei." Wen Ruyu began with a small smile.

Wei Wuxian's dark grey eyes looked at him and he lowered Chenqing, abruptly ending the enchanting tune midway.

Wei Wuxian smiled. "Not a problem. Did you need something from me, Sir Wen?"

"Oh, it's nothing major." Wen Ruyu returned, waving his hands with a nervous laugh. "I was just wondering if I could possibly trouble you to teach me how to play the flute."

Wei Wuxian raised an eyebrow. "Oh, it's no trouble at all, but why the sudden interest?"

Wen Ruyu fiddled with his sleeves and looked away. "It's just—The sound is calming and wonderful to the ears. Then I had the sudden thought that I wouldn't be able to hear such music again once we part, so it resulted to this." He bashfully motioned to what was currently happening between them. "Asking you to teach me how to play the flute."

Wei Wuxian laughed. "I don't think we're planning to part ways anytime soon, so your worry is rather odd. Unless you're planning something unpleasant. If you are..." He narrowed his eyes at Wen Ruyu and exuded a dangerous aura. "Don't expect me to grant you mercy."

"I'm planning nothing of the sort, Sir Wei. Believe me."

"Alright. I'll take your word for now." Wei Wuxian returned as he smiled. "It'll be my pleasure to teach you as long as you're not planning anything that could endanger us. But do keep my words in mind, Sir Wen. It may decide your fate, after all."

Wen Ruyu saluted. "Of course, Sir Wei. I thank you for granting me mercy and sparing my lowly life."

Wei Wuxian grinned as he twirled Chenqing in his hand. "Good! Good! Should we begin teaching you the basics then?" He paused, noticing that something was missing.

A moment later, he hopped off the rock where he sat and began walking towards Lan Wangji. "After we make you a flute."

Wen Ruyu blushed and hid his shame behind his hands for forgetting that one item.

"Lan Zhan!" Lan Wangji turned toward his direction. "Could you give me Suibian?"

Lan Wangji frowned. "Why?"

Wei Wuxian stopped in front of him and pointed a thumb towards Wen Ruyu. "I need to make a flute for that guy. Said he wants to learn how to play it."

Instead of pulling Suibian out of his qiankun pouch, Lan Wangji pulled out Bichen and gave it to Wei Wuxian. "Use mine."

"But, Lan Zhan—"

Lan Wangji shook his head.

Wei Wuxian pouted, but he grabbed Bichen from his hand. "Alright. I'll use Bichen. But it's not like I'm going to use it to fight. I just need it to cut the bamboo neatly."