Chapter 6: An Otherworldly Spar Hidden Amidst Clueless and Frightened Mortals

Wei Wuxian nervously fiddled with his robes as his gaze shifted everywhere but towards where Jiang Wanyin and Jin Rulan stood. He could feel the sharp gaze of his junior brother piercing through his entire being, judging every choice Wei Wuxian had made while he wasn't physically present.

An exasperated sigh soon echoed throughout the room.

Wei Wuxian swallowed the saliva that had gathered within his mouth and risked raising his head to look at Jiang Wanyin. The irate man was massaging the bridge of his nose while grumbling curses under his breath, all of which could easily be heard by everyone within the room.

Jin Rulan nervously placed a hand on Jiang Wanyin's should in an attempt to calm the exploding temper of his uncle. "...Uncle."

Jiang Wanyin looked at him, his temper not calming the slightest even when his gaze softened. "What." His tone was still, as always, snappy and angry sounding.

The words that Jin Rulan intended to say crumpled together and became stuck within his throat. His lips trembled as the sharp gaze of Jiang Wanyin remained on his form.

Luckily, Lan Wangji noticed his dilemma. "Jiang Wanyin, watch your words."

"Yeah, yeah!" Wei Wuxian exclaimed as he placed his hands on his hips. "Have you forgotten that we can hear everything you're grumbling? I know you can't calm your temper even after all these years, but you could at least try and control your tongue. What if your dear A-Xiang starts swearing like you? Who would choose to marry her then?"

Jiang Wanyin smirked. "Good! Then we'll know he truly loves her!"

Wei Wuxian paused, then laughed. "And if he manages to climb that hurdle, he'll then need to face you next. If he stays after being subjected to your glare, then I'll also bless that marriage of theirs!"

"I'd rather you not." Jiang Wanyin scowled. "Whenever you get involved, there's always chaos following right around the corner. I'd rather A-Xiang's marriage be peaceful."

Wei Wuxian opened his mouth, about to protest, but stopped when Jiang Wanyin narrowed his eyes at him.

"Don't even try, Wei Wuxian." he snarled. "It's barely been a day since we parted and yet none of the kids are with you. Neither the one you brought with you to the mortal world nor the two you told me you would visit."

Jiang Wanyin poked Wei Wuxian's shoulder repeatedly as he mentioned each kid, his expression becoming increasingly annoyed after every word. "You met A-Xing last night, but got into an argument. You left, parted ways without even attempting to defend yourself. And then, you allowed A-Yuan to stay behind to speak with the brat. Well, where is he now? It's already morning, yet he still hasn't returned. How about A-Xiang? Where is she? Do you know where she is?"

"...It's not like it was my fault, you know." Wei Wuxian pouted with his cheeks puffed as he glared at the wooden floor.

"Yes, but you're also an adult." Jiang Wanyin straightened himself. "And a mother. Those kids are your responsibility."

Wei Wuxian bit his lip and nodded.

"But." Jiang Wanyin said before he paused briefly. "I won't hold you accountable. At least, not today. I know how much the mention of our past affects you, even after so many years had passed."

He paused and added, "Even after I told you that none of it was your fault."

Wei Wuxian closed his eyes and gripped his robes tightly, to the point that his knuckles began to turn white. "...I know."

Lan Wangji placed his hand on top of Wei Wuxian's clenched fist.

Jiang Wanyin sighed. "You know... but you don't believe it. Do you?"