Chapter 8: When Immortal and Mortal Chaos Clash

Lan Wangji decided to follow the group until they reached an inn and entered with them, but that was it. Despite what Gu Xiang said to him, either for him to join them at their table or for her to pay for his meals, he refused them both and insisted on eating by himself on a separate table that was by the window.

At the end of it all, Gu Xiang conceded, especially since Wen Kexing remained silent for the entirety of their conversation—with a majority of it being offers that Gu Xiang would give her uncle just so she could spend more time with him.

"Alright." she sighed in defeat before she began to make her way towards where Wen Kexing and the others were already seated, but as she got to their table, she turned back towards him with a pout. "Are you sure about not wanting to eat with us, Uncle Lan?"

"Leave him be, A-Xiang. You know he won't move the way you want if he doesn't wish to do so, no matter what." he said. "Well, that is, unless that person is here. But he's not so it's best you give up."

Cao Weining, ever the curious one, looked at Wen Kexing in confusion. "That person? Who is it? Is it a friend?"

Wen Kexing turned to him and raised an eyebrow. "Why are you so curious?"

"Um... This..." Cao Weining said, unsure of what answer to give towards the question.

Luckily for him, Gu Xiang began to giggle. Barely restrained laughter slipping through her teeth as she wiggled her brows in a suggestive manner while staring Lan Wangji straight in the eyes.

"Sure." she mused. "Let's call him a friend, a very close one at that. Very, very, very close."

Lan Wangji shook his head at her actions. "Both of you are so foolish."

Gu Xiang laughed at his words. "But you're quite fond of that aspect, aren't you, Uncle Lan?"

"Sure." he said with a fond smile. "Let's say that I do."

"Of course he's fond of it. That's a foolish question you're asking him." Wen Kexing huffed before he gently pulled Gu Xiang's arm to get her to finally sit down. "Now stop bothering him and eat before the food gets cold."

Gu Xiang pouted. "Alright..."

"Cheer up, A-Xiang." Cao Weining said as he placed a piece of meat into the bowl in front of her. "Here. Try some."

Safe to say, it worked because her sullen expression turned into one of happiness as she grabbed her chopsticks and grinned. "Thank you, Big Brother Cao! You're the best!"

Cao Weining smiled at her. "You're welcome."

"Ew." Wen Kexing scoffed as he made a face, then stuck his tongue out at Gu Xiang when she glared at him. She gladly returned the favor and they began to make faces at each other.

"A-Xiang." Cao Weining called gently while holding a piece of meat in his chopsticks. "Here."

Her attention quickly shifted towards him and gladly parted her lips so he could feed her. "Mm. That's really good!"

Wen Kexing, of course, wasn't going to just let the couple indulge in their lovely moment.

Luckily, Zhou Zishu was there. Before Wen Kexing could begin to annoy Gu Xiang again with his bitter reaction to their relationship, he slapped Wen Kexing's arm and narrowed his eyes at the overprotective man sitting beside him. "Lao Wen." he warned.

"But A-Xu..." he whined childishly while puckering his lips in an attempt to look pitiful.

Unfortunately, he directed such a look to Zhou Zishu who returned the look with a raised eyebrow. "Stop that, you look stupid enough already. That just makes you look even more idiotic than usual."