Chapter 10: Immortal Secrets Begin Unravelling

The hostility that oozed out of the three immortals as they glared at Shen Shen was suffocating. They had just returned from scouting the area with Gu Xiang in order to find the kids, having trusted the remaining mortals to care for Wen Kexing during their absence, but returned only to find him fainted and having suffered minor internal injuries due to the stress of rekindled trauma.

Enraged was not enough to describe their current temper for the mortal who was trying to defend his actions. But they weren't listening, because no matter what justification he offers them, the results of his words had taken hold of the poor child they had been watching over since young.

Wei Wuxian glared at him, eyes flashing red due to his attempt at keeping himself calm. "Leave. Before I follow through with my earlier threat."

"But—!" Shen Shen protested desperately as he looked at the sleeping Wen Kexing. "A-Yan—!"

Jiang Wanyin moved to hide the unconscious Wen Kexing behind his frame as he glared down at Shen Shen. "This child has long abandoned that name. Do not ignore his attempts at moving on from his past. Now leave, before we are tempted to kill you. And trust me, mortal, our patience is running thin. One more word from you, and we'll accept whatever consequences might befall us—we will kill you."

Zhou Zishu casted a cautious glance towards the three immortals, but he shared the same opinion as them. This man had to leave right this moment. "Chengling, show him the way out."

"...Yes, master." Zhang Chengling accepted the order from his master with guilt shining within his eyes as he motioned his hand towards the door. "Uncle Shen, please."

Shen Shen pursed his lips, but lowered his head in defeat. Then he hesitantly raised his arms to offer them a salute, silently bidding them farewell, before he made his way out of the small hut with Zhang Chengling following behind him.

~~~

When the door closed shut behind them, Wei Wuxian took a deep breath to calm himself from his rising anger before he made his way to where Wen Kexing laid with Lan Wangji following close behind him.

As they stood by the bedside, Wei Wuxian paused and turned towards Zhou Zishu with a smile. "Thank you for protecting this child in our absence. Should you wish for something, don't hesitate to tell us. We will grant you one favor for this debt."

"It's not a problem... senior." Zhou Zishu replied, unsure of how to act around the couple whose relation with Wen Kexing was still unknown.

Wei Wuxian laughed. "No need to be so frightened. We would never think of threatening a friend of Kexing's." Then he motioned towards Wen Kexing's unconscious form. "Is it alright if we check on him? I'm rather worried."

Zhou Zishu stepped aside. "Please."

"Thank you." Wei Wuxian returned with a grateful nod, then he looked at Lan Wangji. His beloved nodded in reply before he sat beside Wen Kexing and checked his pulse along with his spiritual power before he raised his gaze to look at them.

"It is in disarray, but he will be fine." Lan Wangji said with a small reassuring smile, then he looked at Wei Wuxian. "Wei Ying, he may need help to awaken from the pain of the past. The medicine he had taken as a child has rebounded."

Wei Wuxian nodded with a solemn expression as he reached for Chenqing, but instead of pulling it out of where it rested in his belt, he decided last minute to merely rest his hand on it as he took a deep breath and began to sing no forgetting. "The swallows fly away knowing the way back."

As the lyrics echoed throughout the room, Jiang Wanyin stared at Wei Wuxian in shock for it was known to every immortal that the couple were not ones to just sing the love songs they had made for each other in front of the public eye, whether they be relatives or strangers. That was how private they were about the feelings they had for each other—back when they couldn't freely express their emotions due to personal reasons, during the thirteen-year separation, and their reunion. So for him to actually witness and finally hear one of their songs after all these years, he didn't know how to feel. He couldn't decide whether he was allowed to stay in the room and listen to the song or to leave the room so only the kids would be able to listen to them. The guilt he continued to hold tore him apart.