Chapter 15: Delving Deeper Into the Past Only Brings Pain

A day had passed since the couple allowed Ye Baiyi to leave and continue his task of searching for a cure to rid Zhou Zishu of the deadly ailment which was eating away his lifespan. What occurred after that was peace as the mortal and immortal families accompanied each other for meals and sometimes the couple would help guide the martial training of Zhang Chengling while their children took care of the tasks that were to be completed while in the mortal world.

It was peaceful, until the invasion led by the past acquaintances of Zhou Zishu. The secret organization under the governance of the royalty, one in which Zhou Zishu once led—the Window of Heaven. They were warned ahead of time thanks to the efforts of the injured Han Ying, but it was a risky move to counterattack given the number of forces they had brought.

On top of all that, after Wen Kexing failed to keep Han Ying alive and suffered a recoil from the trauma of his past, Zhou Zishu had him hide in a secret room within the Four Seasons Manor along with Zhang Chengling and the immortal family.

Wei Wuxian stared at him with a levelled gaze as he sat beside the sleeping Wen Kexing. "Are you certain that you wish to do this? If you use the one favor we had granted, we will get rid of them all."

"I understand you have circumstances wherein you are unable to act as you wish, especially when the matters of mortals are related. Therefore, please allow this to happen." Zhou Zishu shook his head with a wistful smile as he stared at Wen Kexing whose expression was beautifully calm. "And I also know, once Lao Wen wakes, that he will come for me."

A fond smile pulls at Lan Wangji's lips as he closed his eyes. "Then do what you must."

Zhou Zishu saluted before he turned and left the secret room, closing the entrance behind him while Zhang Chengling and the couple watched his back.

Once he had gone and the entrance was sealed, Wei Wuxian leaned his body against Lan Wangji with a smile, his eyes soft and loving as he played with Wen Kexing's hair. "Our A-Xing has found a jewel. I am overjoyed that the two found comfort and safety in each other."

Lan Wangji nodded as he leaned down and kissed Wei Wuxian's temple. "Mn."

"But..." Zhang Chengling decided to interrupt their sweet moment, causing the couple to turn their heads to look at him. "Won't Martial Uncle be angered once he learns of what happened?"

"It is understandable." Lan Wangji uttered as he held Wei Wuxian close to him. "The loss of a soulmate is the most painful. However, it will be alright. The two are connected, it will be difficult to break their bond with this obstacle."

Wei Wuxian grinned. "That's right! Do you know how long Lan Zhan clung to me when I returned? I couldn't part from him no matter what I did!"

Lan Wangji turned away with a huff. "That was only due to the misunderstandings we had accumulated in our younger years." Then he softly added, "And I could not bear the thought of losing you a second time."

"Lan Zhan." Wei Wuxian called in a soft tone as he grabbed Lan Wangji's hand and intertwined their fingers. "There is no need to explain. I was an idiot, and incredibly dense. You had done more than needed to protect me, but I rejected it all in favor of what I thought should be. In return, I brought you so much pain. But this time, even if you were to push me away, I will never part from you. We will always be together."

Wei Wuxian grinned cheekily as he kissed his beloved's knuckles. "You won't be able to get rid of me."

"Who said I will let Wei Ying go?" Lan Wangji questioned as he held onto Wei Wuxian's hand.

"No one." Wei Wuxian replied, his eyes curling into crescents, as he grabbed the outer robes of his beloved and pulled him into a sweet kiss.

~~~