Chapter 13: Immortal Stories and the Teasing of Mortals

The occasional melody of the flute was a welcome change to the deep silence which would usually accompany the small unofficial mortal family when they would run out of conversational pieces. During the journey, Zhang Chengling continued to practice the Swift Moving steps under the joint supervision of Wen Kexing and Zhou Zishu, while also occasionally receiving advice from the immortal family with the exception of Jiang Wanyin as he decided to accompany his daughter and her fiance to the Gentle Wind Sword Sect.

Earlier, before the group had decided to part ways as their destinations differed, Wei Wuxian was able to convince Jiang Wanyin to allow the love between the two to bloom without becoming a parental hindrance. He wasn't there when Wen Kexing basically gave Gu Xiang away to Cao Weining, so the likelihood of world destruction never had the opportunity to arise. Though he still pretty much exploded into anger when he heard Cao Weining exclaim that he will promise to take care of Gu Xiang no matter what happens to him.

Luckily the couple was there to restrain him before something irreversible could happen to the human fluffball. Had they gone home the night before, Cao Weining might have died at his hands before marriage could even enter a conversation as a certain probability in the future.

~~~

"A-Xing!" Wei Wuxian called as he twirled under the guidance of his beloved before their dance ended with an exotic dip which showcased his flexibility. "What do you say to a little drink at the next inn we find? Don't worry about the expenses, we'll pay for it. You can even grab some ingredients so there won't be much to worry about when you boys get back home to..."

When he trailed off, he turned his gaze towards his beloved for help. "Four Seasons Manor."

"Right, right." Wei Wuxian confirmed with a nod. "When you get settled back at the Four Seasons Manor."

"I—" Wen Kexing paused, then turned to look at Zhou Zishu to learn of his opinion towards the matter. "What do you think, A-Xu?"

Zhou Zishu pondered over the suggested idea before he nodded. "It doesn't seem like a bad idea. We'll have to impose on you, Sir Wei and Sir Lan."

Wei Wuxian laughed off his formality as Lan Wangji pulled the man he loved back into his arms, then looked at the two while nonchalantly waving his free hand. "Like I said, there's no need to be so formal. If you're uncomfortable with referring to us by our given name as I've previously requested, then feel free to just call us by our courtesy names."

"Now that I think of it, I don't think we had properly introduced ourselves to you." Wei Wuxian added. "I am Wei Ying, courtesy name Wei Wuxian. And this is my husband, Lan Zhan, courtesy name Lan Wangji. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Zhang Chengling tilted his head in mild confusion. "Courtesy names?"

"It is a second name given to a child once they have reached adulthood." Lan Wangji explained before his brows furrowed slightly. "...Perhaps they are no longer used."

"Oh." Wei Wuxian breathed in understanding, then he grinned. "Since it seems to no longer be a familiar term, perhaps it would be more fitting to call our given names as nicknames. Therefore, feel free to call us by our... first names."

Zhang Chengling nodded to show that he understood the explanation that had been given, then nervously fiddled with his fingers. "Then, um... should I also refer to you in a similar manner?"

"If you wish, but you may refer to us in the same manner as A-Xiang—Uncle Wei and Uncle Lan."

Zhang Chengling brightened at the idea of being able to call them as such.

"...Would you like to try calling us by our names?" Lan Wangji questioned, staring straight at Zhou Zishu who looked uncomfortable.

"Then... Wuxian and Wangji...?" Zhou Zishu tried with an uncertain tone.