𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝐹𝑜𝑢𝑟

After telling Mom that I met someone and wanted to set up dinner with our family for her belated birthday, she couldn't believe it and cannot wait to meet Benjamin. I haven't told her the details because I want to surprise her with our family. I spend money to dress Benjamin in designer clothes of a grey button-up shirt tucked in with black pants. He's more handsome than anything.

I told my family to meet at 6:30-knowing they will be late due to their jobs being 15 minutes late. I'm wearing a long-sleeve olive green v-neck (doesn't show much cleavage) bodycon dress with belt, and nude pumps along with my trench coat for a chilly night. My hair is a little the same style with less wavy and wearing my diamond earrings studs and a simple diamond necklace.

As I'm waiting at the table, Benjamin is waiting at the bar for my signal to come to the table. In 5 mins after, my mom walks to the table, wearing a black blouse and letting her hair flat iron like mine (how alike we truly are). Mom's smile is all I need today and she's beaming.

"Hi, Mom!" I hug her. "You look so beautiful..."

"Thank you... You too, my darling." She smiles and sits beside me and looks curiously. "Where is your lover?"

"He's waiting for the rest of the family to come... Mom, you will love him, he absolutely changed my life." Mom smiles and suspects that I was changing and happier than ever. "He is so handsome, and charming, he reads."

She laughs, "Well, we both know you longing for someone who reads."

We both laugh and finally my oldest brother, Patrick in his lawyer suit walks to our table as we were laughing.
"Hi, Dahlia." He hugs me and hugs my mom. "Hi, Mum. Happy birthday." Mom gives thanks to Patrick, who looks so tired than he usually is. Probably his baby giving him the early wake-up calls. He points to Mom, "You look-" He hesitated and I finished his sentence.

"Nice?" My mom laughs and he nods without laughing or smiling; there is really something wrong with him, he is depressed. So I decide to ask him how his family is, "How's Eimear? Your daughters?"

"Well, sis, they send granny their love." He pushes his gift bag to Mom that looks like a jewelry gift. Can a guy give anything meaningful? I just bought a bouquet of lilies and the first editions of War and Peace for Mom. Patrick asks Mom, unexpectedly, "Did Dad get you anything?"

"Can we not? Not tonight..."

"Just tell me he got you a present?" Wow, Patrick looks really depressed.

I ask Patrick, "Why would he, Patrick? He divorced Mom a few months ago!"

He ignored me, "He at least got you a card? Just tell me at least he got you a card?"

Mom put her hands on his hands while looking at him seriously, "I don't want a card from him. I don't want anything from him. I just want to have a nice evening that was arranged by your sister. With no mention of that fucking man." Patrick and I look at our mom with shock at the f-bomb. Good for you, Mom! She opens her gift, and of course, gold earrings. "You're a good boy." I look to see how Benjamin is doing and he finishes his martini by dropping a stick in his glass.

Della enters the building and walks to our table. She gives Mom a hug, "Happy birthday. Hey, sis." I smile at her, she is probably the only person in the family besides Mom who accepts me as her sister, not an "adopted sister." She is the best sister that anyone could ask for. Patrick looks at her, reminding her that she was a little late, "I'm not that late."

Leo walks to our table and I look at my mom smiling at his baby son here with her and our whole family together. Leo sits beside Patrick in front of us, "So, what are we eating?" He looks at Patrick telling Leo that we were waiting for him to order. Leo looks at the menu, "Wait, no longer, my friend." I roll my eyes to Patrick and he gives me a look as Leo mentions a lobster.