𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑇𝑒𝑛

Crimson... Crimson Woods. It's hard to take in when you just met your mother without knowing. I always thought she was my guardian angel on the bench. Pure inspiration for Mia, and advice for my writing. Should I believe the man I met moments ago who claims to be my grandfather on my biological mother's side?

Claiming he had spent for how many years looking for me... even I was adopted? Who am I? Who do I belong with? Who is really my family? Here I am, still Dahlia, laying on the sofa, looking at the ceiling as time passes. Upon the window of pattering water streams reflect on the night. My mind is still blank and all I need is comfort. A comfort that will answer my questions.

A door opens, answering my thoughts, I already know who is coming into the room. A voice says, "May I?" Benjamin is suggesting to lay behind me as he cuddles with me. I answer his question as I make room for him to put his arms around me while I am still looking at the ceiling. My back lay upon his chest, hearing his heartbeats softly, and feeling the warmth I needed. "How are you feeling? I know this is a bad question to ask after your reaction, but I'm always there for you, Lia. Always."

"I feel... bleak," I say softly while looking at the ceiling of the pattering water stream. "I mean... All of my life, I have been looking for who I am. Where do I come from... and what really happened on December 14th... the first snowstorm in that time in England. For a short while, I have been dreaming about her. Not knowing who she was, how she was my guardian angel... I mean, I never expected my mom would be here with me, but now she's not in the presence. It's hard."

I wipe my tears with my cardigan, and I feel Benjamin's kisses on my head. "It just overwhelms me how much Crimson takes a burdensome life, protecting me from my biological father. I guess we both have some bad history with men. No offense." Benjamin chuckles, "But.. I don't know..."

"May I say something?", I nod. "I think, no I know your mother, Crimson, gives a life she always wanted for you. As Mr. Woods said she wants her little Lizzie to have a life she never had. I think it's possible to live your life, whenever you live your life. She'll be beside you, even if you can't see her. She will always be your guardian angel, Lia, in your soul, in your writing hands, and you reading her favorite book as well as yours. I mean, I said some things to my dad, I wished I never said before he died, and I carried that burden and guilt... even with Ali. Never got an answer from my expected proposal before she shut me out. Crimson and I want to live your life as possible as you're always wanted, even with Julia and your siblings, they're your family. The point is you, and me, (we) have to be allowed to hope that things can change, and can get better. Otherwise, we're stuck, stuck holding to some shitty past..."

I smile at him even though he's not looking so I decide to play along, "So wise for someone who is studying history..."

"Bugger off." Benjamin and I laugh together. I turn to him at last and kiss him softly. I lay my hand on his chest as he touches my hair upon my right ear, looking at his beautiful, black eyes. "I mean it, Lia... Your own mother would be so blessed to the life you're living in... even with your adopted family." He hands me the picture of my mom, how beautiful she was and is in my soul like Benjamin said. "I think Crimson would approve of us."

I smile at him, "Yeah, she would..." I couldn't help but think about Mr. Woods, maybe I was a little too harsh on him for our first meeting, maybe it wouldn't hurt to try to talk more about my mom. "Benjamin, was I too harsh at Mr. Woods?" Benjamin shakes his head, "I don't know I thought I did... but I would like to get to know him and my mom more. I'm sure he had a lot of stuff to say."

"I think it's a marvelous idea." He smiles and the clock strikes twelve and I look at the time of midnight and realize what day it is. "What would you look at that? It's midnight... Happy birthday, Lia." I look at Benjamin with a really face. "What? I think it's a good day to celebrate."