𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑁𝑖𝑛𝑒𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛

1997. 15 years old. Sean White. One punch turns into bloody murder. Of a shopkeeper. 500,000 sterlings. As I arrive home, from a short plane ride to Devon. My home of secrets and lies. Now I'm trapped again. Trap in the inhumanity of a man I love... as I'm supposed to be wed tomorrow.

Now my own home is filled with memories I don't want to remember. That I don't want to be in. My face is numb to expressing anything now. All I want is to go to sleep in my own bed, without him.

As I enter my home quietly I hear the voice of my brother, Patrick, in the living room. "Of course, I want you to be here. Of course, I do." I walk closer to overhear my brother talking to his phone, whispering in exclamation, "None of it's easy and it's made a shit-load harder by you calling me half-cut when I'm with my wife." There it is, the evidence I hear in my home, and the lies and secrets according to his wife and my bridesmaid's children, Eimear and the girls.

I continue on my plan of sleeping in once again, in my large bed. Alone, with no escape. Eyes are wide and awake, as I dream of the memories of a person. That I love... has gone to shed.

Pardon me, I was here for Pride and Prejudice...

Would you like to dance with me?

I can't explain my feelings because I never had such feelings before, so strong, so clear, and so confusing.

Dahlia, I won't hurt you like he did. I promise...

I love you.

Always...

Your love, our love is like a turning page. A new chapter, a new sentence, and a new beginning. Will you read the turning page of our story?

I'm so proud of you, Lia.

Lia, you have no idea how much I want to protect you. From anyone, especially him. I want this. I want you to be my wife. I want to be at your side when you need me the most. Forever.

I'm not letting you go!! Cause you are, are... EVERYTHING!! You are everything, everything!!

You are too good for this world, you know that?

Escaping is done in your life, now your next chapter to rewritten...

Knocking on my door, stopping my dreams, or perhaps my memories. I remember every word that he said to me in every chapter of our lives. Suddenly I hear the worried voice from my sister, knocking on my door loudly, "Dahlia? Are you there?"

"Just one second!!" I wake myself by stretch as I look at the time quarter to 11. Almost 7 hours until the ceremony.

I let my sister in and she looks concerned about me, "Lia, what happened to you yesterday?" I rub my eyes to wake myself more, and not get tearing up in front of my sister. "Sis, what is it? What's wrong?"

I shake my head and give her a soft smile, "Nothing. Nothing's wrong..."

"What's with the radio silence then? I called like six times after we spoke, it kept going to voicemail... did you lie about Anna's situation?"

"I'm sorry I wanted a moment to myself alone before everything changed... My phone was dead, so I'm sorry for worrying about you. Yes, I did lie. I know how bad of a liar you are, sis. Like I said about the day to myself, I had the last-minute stuff to deal with..."

"That's your family and I am here for... Your job is a simple one, enjoyment. As your maid of honor, get showering before our mum goes crazy that you're not ready..."

I laugh at my sister's comment, and I hug her. After showering and brushing my teeth, I couldn't help, but how much of a fool I was... A fool of being in love with a murderer. I take a look at myself in the mirror as I look at my brown-eyed reflection in anger. I recite a quote, "'We're all fools in love...' Fuck you, Jane!"