𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑆𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛

A few days ago, Benjamin and I were visiting Mom's house in Devon and suddenly Marsha was there. I told Benjamin the story about Marsha how she ruined her friendship with Mom for having an affair with Edward. What really surprised Benjamin was that Marsha is black; figuring out why I and Benjamin are not capable of each other from my family's views.

I have no clue why my family is truly disgusted by my interracial relationship with Benjamin, even though I have light-colored skin. I have no clue what my racial background is but I know I'm black because Fred said so when he found me in front of the orphanage.

After yesterday's sudden surprise from Marsha, I'm here at my home with Benjamin while he's making my coffee as I am writing an email to Anna. Anna sent me an email last night that there is the first edition of my collection of poems book, The Sounds of Silence for Single Moms. I don't know what it looks like, but I know in my heart it's gonna look beautiful. I'm writing to Anna to let her know that I am blessed to have her as my editor and willing to write another novel soon. When Benjamin comes inside my office with my coffee, there was a knock on my front door.

I look at Benjamin with nervousness and excitement as I walk to the front door. I wrap myself a white knitted cardigan along with a white shirt and jean leggings when I am barefoot. I open the door and greet the mailman, sign the official document, and he hands me a mailing box from the publishing company. I took a deep breath and walk to my office where Benjamin was waiting for me. I grab a letter opener from my desk to cut out the tapes.

As I open my box, I start to cry in tears of happiness. I pick my book up to get a better view. A leather faux of light purple hardcover with my name and title in silver cursive. Benjamin hugs me from behind and kisses my cheek. "It looks so beautiful," and he looks me straight in the eyes. "You did it, Lia." We smile at each other and I hug him so tight to thank him for being there for me. He let go of the hug, "Well it's partly raining out; I have few ideas to celebrate tonight with you."

"Really, already?" We both laugh. "Ok..." He put my book down on my desk and held my head to kiss me with passion.

As he was done, he gaze at me so differently that I couldn't describe what he's thinking. It gives me a listen to my heart beating, "Lia... I-" Front door rang and I look at Benjamin with confusion, not expecting anyone to visit. I walk to my front door again, and I open it to see my siblings: Patrick, Della, and Leo.

"This is a surprise!" I hug Patrick and Della, "A nice one..." I hug Leo, but they all have troubled and concerned faces. After my hug with Leo, I ask them, "Is everything ok?"

Della replies, "Yeah, it's fine, sis..." Della is a really horrible liar to see clearly on her face. Benjamin says hello to my siblings but they ignore Benjamin and focus on me.

"We need to speak to you," said Patrick

"Ok..." I cross my arms waiting for them to speak to me.

"In private, sis..." Leo says to me, looking down at his shoes. Of course, they all want to speak to me, only me without Benjamin.

I turn to Benjamin with an apologetic look on him, "Benjamin, do you mind?" Benjamin nods and I guide him to the door, "I'm sorry..."

Benjamin smiles with acceptance, "It's ok, Lia. Family comes first. I'll just go for a walk or something, just call me if you need anything." Benjamin kisses my cheek and closed the door, watching him walk away. I know inside he's a little mad for not letting me join the family position, but maybe in the future, they could see Benjamin as I do. Not the problem.

I turn to my family and ask them for a fresh cup of coffee and Leo wants some. I went to the kitchen to get Leo's cup while I have my cup from my office.