Chapter Four

A few days later, it felt as if stealing from the car hadn't helped

Everyone was still on edge. Kenny and Lee would do runs into the city, coming back with whatever they could get their hands on, but they were finding less and less each time. Luna had overheard them speaking about the city, how it was 'hell of earth and coming this way."

When the arrived back from Macon for the final time, Clementine and Luna were sitting under the cover of shade, drawing. Or, Clem was. Luna was writing in a notebook that she had found. She wanted to write down everything important, so that she'd remember it. What to look out for with people, how to hide, best places to hide, basically a 'survival guide' as Clem called it.

Katjaa had had a talk with Luna about the dairy, too. And how she shouldn't hurt people unless she absolutely had to. Kenny, of course, thought different. He thought it was good that Luna was ready to defend herself or Duck. Katjaa, however, reminded him she was a kid. Only eight. There was no reason for her to ever have to hurt anyone.

Kenny and Lee smiled at them, before going into Lilly's room inside the motel. They could hear shouting, just like they always did when Kenny and Lee got back. Kenny came storming out of the room a few moments later, Katjaa following. Lee and Carley spoke outside for a moment, before Lee went back into Lilly. 

Luna stood up, and walked over to the door, listening in to Lilly and Lee's conversation.

"What?" Lee was saying. "Who? What do you know?"

"Nothing, yet," Lilly said miserably. "But I just know."

"Lilly, I've seen the count. Everything looks fine."

"Yeah, well, I keep my own, that's the one someone's messing with. I want you to poke around."

Lee was quiet for a moment. "What's there to go on?"

There was a shuffling before Lilly spoke again. "I found this tossed in the garbage. We don't toss equipment out. We fix it. You'd only get rid of a flashlight if you were doing something you shouldn't be."

"Okay. I'll poke around a bit, see what I can found."

"Thanks, Lee. And if you come back with nothing, I'll assume it's you."

Luna felt someone poke her shoulder, and jumped as the door opened.

"A mystery . . . " Duck grinned, and Lee, now, jumped, as he had just left the room.

"Jesus, Duck!" He scolded.

"We heard you talking," Luna grinned up at him. 

"You need to unhear all of that!" Lee started to walk away, but the pair of them followed him.

"Can we help?" Duck asked. 

Lee raised an eyebrow. "What did I just say?"

"You can be the greatest detective, Luna can be Barbra Gordon, and I'll be Dick Grayson, your ward!"