Chapter Nine

They made their way into the ski resort, Luna walking alongside her dad and Clem

They made their way into the ski resort, Luna walking alongside her dad and Clem. Everyone else seemed pretty confused, but Luna didn't really care. She thought Kenny was dead. She was right there with him.

But when she looked around at the main room of the resort, she was in awe. Christmas lights hung from the ceiling and banisters of the second flood, a large Christmas tree lighting up the seating area. Soft music played from the radio on a shelf, and the fire kept the place warm. It was as if she'd suddenly gone back in time. Here, it seemed Carver and the Walkers were just part of some book or movie. Not right outside.

"Kenny and Sarita have been staying with us for several weeks," The man who had been behinds Kenny said. "Used to be a ski lodge, obviously, so we have plenty of food. And, eh, believe it or not we still get some power from that wind turbine outside. We tend to keep most of the lights off at night to avoid drawing attention."

As the man spoke, Kenny turned to Luna and Clem, miming a talking mouth with his hand as he rolled his eyes.

"But after we found this stuff in storage, we couldn't resist making an exception," The man turned to look at Clem, who was laughing at Kenny. "What's funny?"

"Oh, nothing, Walt," Kenny smiled as he clapped him on the back. "Walter here's a smart son of a bitch. Makes a mean can of beans, too."

"Well, why don't you two catch up while I get dinner started?"

The door behind them opened, and the group walked in.

"Please, make yourselves at home," Walter said, and gestured to a bench by the door. "You can leave your things there."

"The hell we will!" Rebecca said.

Nick nodded. "Yeah, I'm holding onto my rifle, thanks."

"You're our guests here," Walter said. "There's no need to worry."

"Tell him to put his gun down, then," Nick looked at Kenny.

"Kenny?"

He looked at Luna. "Can you vouch for these people, Lu? Cause if you and Clem say they're cool-"

"Us?" Nick scoffed. "You're the one wavin' a gun around, man."

"We're cool, okay?" Luke spoke over him. "Alright? We're cool."

"Luna? Clementine?"

"They're cool," Luna said.

The door opened again, and Carlos and Sarah walked in with the woman Kenny was with, Sarita. 

"Dad, look!" Sarah's face lit up. "A Christmas tree!"

"Not now, Sarah."

"Isn't it great?" Sarita smiled. "We found it all in storage."

Sarah looked around. "It's amazing."

Kenny walked over to the bench, and placed his rifle down, turning to the others and waiting for them to do the same. It took a minute, but soon, everyone had placed their weapons and bags down, including Luna and Clem.