Chapter Eight

Luna didn't sleep that night. She wanted to go out looking for Clem, but didn't know the woods at all, and so knew she'd just get lost and lose Clem again.

Early the next morning, however, she was first up, with her knife on her waistband, gun tucked into the back of her trousers, and backpack on her back, with Croaky back, and her Walkman on her hip, before the sun had even even raised.

Luke and Carlos were down, next, with rifles, and almost shot her when they saw her sharpening her pencils at the kitchen table.

"Luna, we'll send you, Alvin and Luke out," Carlos said. "Has Alvin gotten up yet? ALVIN!"

"I'm here, I'm here!" Alvin groaned. "No need to yell."

"There is if it wakes you up more," Luke said.

"I'm plenty awake!"

"Let's get going," Luna stood up. "They're obviously not going to find themselves."

They set off, leaving Carlos, Sarah and Rebecca at the house. They went through the wood, to a river. It would have been beautiful, if there weren't dead bodies littering the banks.

"Shit," Alvin muttered.

Luna pulled out her knife, walking over to one of the bodies, kicking it over. "Shot through the head."

"Luke, you don't think . . . "

"We need to find something to say who did this," Luke said. "And look out for lurkers. And . . . "

"Yeah," Lune sighed. "I'll look out for them."

They checked the bodies, both walker and human alike, but none of them seemed familiar to anyone. Thankfully.

"I'd say they saw this, headed out," Luke said.

"Or, they were in the crossfire," Luna suggested. "Got taken."

"Can you not?" Alvin said. "Not exactly a nice thought."

"Never said it was."

Luke sighed. "Come on. We've got ground to cover. They probably would have tried to make a run for the house."

"Yeah."

They made their way back into the woods in the direction of the house, when they heard a twig snap.

Each of them froze, pulling out their guns.

Another twig snapped, and they turned to see the back of a man, walking, gun at his waste.

Both Luke and Alvin's eyes went wide.

"We gotta go." Alvin said. "He can't see us."

"But what if he's the one who's got the guys?" Luna asked.