Chapter Five

Savannah was deserted

There were no walkers. No people. No tires on cars.

Luna walked beside Kenny, who still wouldn't look at her. Omid had hurt his leg pretty bad from the fall from the train. Luna had bandaged it up best she could, but though her mother taught her how to mend things, she didn't teach her much. 

Kenny was hellbent on getting a boat and getting out to see. Luna, however, thought that was a bad idea. People had probably thought of it before, and taken their boats and left. And even then, what would they do when they were out there? How would they cook the fish they've caught? How would they get supplies like water and clothes?

Suddenly, as they walked through the abandoned streets, a bell began ringing.

"Maybe this city isn't as dead as we thought," Christa said.

"Keep moving," Kenny said. "No one's ringing that bell. It's automatic. On a timer."

Lee glanced at his watch. "What kind of bell goes off at twenty past the hour?"

Everyone was silent.

"Someone's up there!" Lee suddenly said. 

"Are you sure?" Ben asked. "I don't see anything."

"I know what I saw! I'm telling you, there's someone up in that bell tower! Someone alive!"

Clem's walkie talkie suddenly made a static noise from Lee's belt.

"I'd get out of the street, if I were you . . . "

"I thought you said that thing didn't work?" Christa raised an eyebrow.

Lee ignored her as he spoke into the walkie talkie. "Who the hell is this? Hello? Hello? I said answer me!"

It was silent.

"What the hell was that?" Omid questioned, as the bell stopped. "Is someone trying to fuck with us?"

"Sounds more like a warning," Ben said.

Chuck glanced down the street. "Ask not for whom the bell tolls  . .  ."

Kenny turned to him. "What the hell are you yammering about?"

They all followed his gaze, and saw dozens of zombies walking towards them, attracted by the bell.

"It tolls for thee."

"Everybody run!" Lee yelled, and they did just that. Clem and Luna grabbed each other's hands so that they'd stick together, stay close to Lee's side. But then, they heard a yelp.

Kenny was on the ground, ankle grabbed by a walker. Lee pulled out his gun and ran towards them, shooting the walker.

"A little too close, don't you think?" Kenny said.