Chapter Fifteen

i say 'bend in her finger' here, because I was going to say the actual name for the bend in your finger, but it's called a metacarpophalangeal joint, so I thought maybe not . ..  so yeah

*     *     *     SEVERAL MONTHS AGO     *     *     *

Luna sighed as she made her way into the gas station. It had taken ages to get AJ to get to sleep the night before. He still needed it, but he was proving to be much more stubborn than most kids. Or, other kids Luna had met.

Clem stayed with him while Luna went looking for supplies. She thought it best to go without him, as he loved trying to say words when they were scavenging, and scaring off animals or attracting walkers, so Luna went while he was sleeping.

Problem with that is that she has to go alone, with no one watching her back. She was used to it, and fine with it, but had a constant worry that she should turn back. Check Clem's okay. 

She found the gas station about half an hours walk from their current camp. They were constantly moving at the moment, so it was temporary, but seemed alright. For the moment, at least.

Luna walked into the gas station, bow drawn, arrow knocked. She checked the cars, not finding anything useful, other than a small teddy for AJ, which she put in her bag. She checked them all for gas, too, but, as she thought, they were all empty. Cursing quietly to herself, she made her way into the actual small building, bow ready to shoot anything that moved.

She listened, not hearing any noises of breathing or talking. She stomped her foot, making a noise, and hearing a groan from behind a shelf in response. She pulled her bow back, and quickly took aim at the walker laying on the ground of the ruined store, shooting it right in the head. 

She stomped again, hearing no response. She walked over to the walker, pulling the arrow out and wiping the blood off on her jeans. She checked the walker over, but saw it was in high-vis construction clothes, and guessed correctly that he was an old walker, and there was no need to loot him. 

She looked at the shelves, but found nothing of interest, other than a old movie magazine, which she flick through, and scoffed when they compared a movie to Highlander and gave it a bad review.

She jumped over the counter, checking behind it for anything useful. She found a lighter, and flicked it. Of course, it was empty. She threw it to the ground, searching for anything else useful, when she heard the sound of a car engine. She looked out the window to see a car stopping right outside. 

She ducked down behind the counter as she heard two men climb out, laughing loudly. She nocked an arrow, quickly, staying hidden and quiet.

"That was hilarious," One of the said, and Luna looked to see he had blood splattered all over his face. "I mean, did you see her face? Priceless! I mean, I thought that guy, you know, the army one. I thought killing him was fun, but her? Brilliant!"