merry christmas

Christmas Eve was meant to be spent together in preparation for the next day. But, Sakiko and Nanami were once again out of the house awaiting the time they were able to come back. They were inside a small diner this time, sharing a plate of chicken strips and fries instead of their usual snacks outside the store. Sakiko took Daryl's advice even though it annoyed her- but, the diner was warmer and the food tasted better so she wasn't too mad.

"You kids should head on home, storm's coming," their waitress advises- a woman who had served them for the past week now.

"Oh, is it?" Nanami questions, glancing out the window.

"Be safer if y'all head on home. Want me to give you a ride?" she offers.

"No, we can walk. Thank you," Nanami smiles politely.

"All right. Y'all be careful now," she smiles, picking up their empty plate.

"My watch isn't working," Nanami sighs.

"Then, we have an excuse," Sakiko shrugs, pushing herself out of the booth.

Nanami tilts his head in agreeance as he follows her outside, the pair being met with brutal winds that leave stinging pains on their cheeks. They agree once more to hurry as they break into a fast walk down the roads and to their house.

Their driveway was empty of new vehicles this time, only Shinsuke's car in it's usual spot.

"See? We're fine," Sakiko points out, tugging her brother quicker to the door as the wind picks up speed.

They rush to the door, bustling inside with pants of exhaustion and pain of the cold weather.

"Dad?" Nanami calls.

Sakiko stomps on the doormat a few times to make sure there was no snow on her shoes before walking into the living room as Nanami hangs his hat on the hook. A scream from Sakiko has Nanami tripping into a run to hurry by her side.

Shinsuke grunts in pain, blood covering his face as he tries to pull himself off the floor.

"Call- Call someone!" Sakiko cries to her brother.

Nanami hurries to the table where Shinsuke's phone lay, ready to call the three numbers that would bring help.

"Don't!" Shinsuke shouts, leaning his back against the couch.

"Dad, you- you're.." Sakiko stumbles over her words as she motions to her father as though he would understand his own condition.

He ignores her, pulling himself to his feet, one arm wrapped around his ribcage as he limps to Nanami and snatches the phone harshly from his hands.

"Go to your room!" he yells, making Nanami flinch.

Sakiko could only look at him with wide eyes- wondering why her father was beaten, who did it, and how it all came to be.

"Now!" Shinsuke adds, shoving Sakiko by her shoulder to the hall.

Nanami rushes to her side, grabbing his sister's arm and tugging her with him to their room, careful not to slam the door and leave Shinsuke more angered.

--

Christmas was hardly any different. The kids opened their gifts and were quickly sent outside once again. The diner was nearly empty, one family and a single man eating their meals to themselves as the twins sat in silence over their meal.

The twins hadn't spoken about what happened the day before- both too afraid of what it might mean and what it does mean. Their father had been hurt, but neither knew why.