nanami's choice

The bullet flies through the air- hitting the man between the eyes.

As his body falls to the floor, his hold on Maggie also drops and is nearly weighed down by him as she stumbles on her feet in shock.

"Let him go," Nanami warns Merle, pointing to gun to him.

Merle's eyes harden, his blade lingering near Glenn again.

"Son-"

"Shut up!" Nanami snaps, "Daryl and Sakiko are both alive and you know it!"

"It ain't that simple," Merle denies.

"Let's just go, Merle," Nanami coaxes, "Like we were always meant to. Let's just go. No more of this Governor bullshit."

Merle kneels beside Glenn, picking the man up by his hair, "And what about them, huh? We just supposed to shake hands and go on our merry little way?"

"You have two minutes to make up your mind," Nanami explains, "By then, someone is coming here. The others in town heard the shot and they'll start looking. You better think fast."

--

Maybe being stuck in this small space wasn't as bad as Sakiko had first thought.

Maybe it was worse.

After Ryan woke up, she told him that the others weren't back yet. Ryan nodded, assuring they would be back any second now.

Then, it was silent.

Sakiko was never good at comfort.. Both being comforted as well as comforting someone else. It wasn't something she saw a lot of when growing up. She and Nanami were forced to not talk about their issues, even though there were clearly a lot of those, and just deal with it in silence. And not even 'deal with it' per say- more like 'sit there and bask in it because you can't change it'.

So, Sakiko sat against the window while opening and closing her knife to pass the time. She was trying to count how many times she did it, but then something made a sound outside and she got distracted long enough to lose her count.

"You wanna rob a bank?" Ryan suddenly asks.

"What?" Sakiko jumps- both from the abruptness as well as the premise.

"I mean.. Loot..? Search for supplies? I don't.." Ryan sighs, cringing at himself, "Just.. Banks have security and stuff.. Maybe there's some stuff there we could use or.. I don't know."

"Well, usually banks have lock boxes, right? Which means even if there were weapons people stored away, we wouldn't have the keys because the owner would have it," Sakiko explains.

"Ah," Ryan nods, "That makes sense."

Insecurity creeps over Sakiko and she couldn't help but remind-

"I've never stole from a bank.. Only small stores or the teachers. I wasn't-" she groans in agony, "Never mind. This isn't helping my case."

"That was before," Ryan slowly makes out, "Who you are now.. It's not the same."

"I stole from Shane," she recalls.

"Shane was a douche," Ryan shrugs.

"And I was a thief."

"'Was'," Ryan repeats, "You're different now."

Sakiko doesn't say anything to that, only a gentle nod of her head. Ryan's hand eases toward hers and just as she closes the knife again, his hand is wrapped around hers.

"The other day.." he begins.

"I'm sorry," she immediately apologizes, "I crossed the line. I'm sorry-"