the great escape

The twins left out the front door for school like nothing was different.

Once outside, they went around the back of the house to pick up the two extra bags they'd placed out their window this morning. Their backpacks held nothing school-wise, only more clothes and food. The food was mostly snacks, their hours outside the store paying off once again.

They stopped by the diner, seeing Janet for what they were sure was the last time. Janet questioned their bags and they made up a lie about it being gym clothes. She smiled and slid them a handful of strawberry candy like she knew the truth.

They had no clue where they were going, but they were free. They could go anywhere as long as they're feet allowed them.

--

Daryl had stayed up all night long.

He laid in bed with thoughts of the past years he'd known the twins. Then, he got up and paced through the house with thoughts of a possible future with the twins. Then, he laughed at himself for thinking they could actually have a proper, good future together.

Was he going to go out in the world, get a job, become some family-man for the kids? The picture of a white picket fence life was amusing, but far too distant for the Dixon to try and think that highly of himself.

When the sun begun to rise, he wondered if they would go to school today. Or, would they put their plans of the night into fruition and.. vanish? Would he ever see them again? Did he even want to see them again? Why did he want to see them again?

That's when Daryl's panic set in. What if he never saw them again?

He stared at Merle's bedroom door for a few minutes. Could he leave his brother? Merle had left him before and Daryl swore not to be like him. That's how he ended up with his own scars from a so-called father. 

Merle would never understand so it's not like he could ask Merle to go with them. Then again, bringing Merle with them would only mean bringing along the things the kids were running from in the first place.

Sakiko was right, though. The kids and Daryl, they weren't like them. They were the ones that waited outside. They got caught in the crossfire of the deals. 

That's how Merle had gotten Shinsuke as his dealer- the previous one had held a gun to Daryl's head. Even though Merle and the guy laughed it off, Merle agreed eventually that the man was too eccentric and might 'spike his shit'. It was after that that Merle got in touch with Shinsuke and the two began their sells.

Merle couldn't go with them, but could Daryl walk away from Merle?

Daryl glances to the oven clock, finding the kids were probably leaving for school now- Nanami had complained about the time over and over that it was too early for their brains to function math. Why Daryl remembered that, he had no clue.

They could be gone forever.. Could Daryl let the kids walk away?

His body moves before he even realizes what he's doing, packing his few clothes in a garbage bag, grabbing his hunting bow, and throwing it in the back of his truck. The kids were wrong about that- the bike was actually Merle's. He didn't have the heart to tell them it wasn't his when they thought it was so cool.

He doesn't wonder if the truck starting would wake Merle up, he probably wouldn't care even if it did. Daryl sped the truck out of the driveway, going straight to the tobacco shop. This was on their route to school, but would they even have use for it if they were leaving? Which way would they go?

When he parked in his usual spot, seeing the shop still closed so early in the morning, the reality of what he was doing set in.

Who did he think he was? He sure as hell isn't father material. He's hardly brother material. He's just a junkie's brother that lived through each day like it was the previous one's. He didn't have any meaning to his existence, he was just there.

He slams his hand against the steering wheel, placing his arms on each side and lowering his head. What the hell was he doing? Why did he think the kids meant what they said? They're kids and they were scared. They don't need him. They don't even want him. They were just in a situation like he was and thought he was enough to spew their problems onto.

But, then.. Why did he keep showing up to this shop when he didn't even buy anything on most days? Because he knew that's the time they were out of school and would show up.

Why did he go to that diner for their birthday? Why did he search the house for a month to find anything acceptable to give them a gift? Why did he pay for their meals when he was hardly getting by? Why did he let them spew their problems onto him? Why did he start going inside just to see them?

Why the fuck was he sitting outside this shop like they would all three run away together and make a life for themselves outside of the shithole they were living in?

Why did.. Why did he want that? Daryl scolds himself at the word. He was taught to not want for things. Wanting was just a broken promise. Wanting for things made you greedy.

A knock on the window makes him jump. When he looks over, he sees the kids with their backpacks on and bags in their hands. Daryl reaches down, spinning the crank to open the window.

Their bags, their excited faces.. This was it. They were leaving just as he'd thought.

"You're here," Sakiko comments.

"I uh.." Daryl hesitates.

He could just say that he was here to tell them bye. He could sit here and watch them go, give himself the closure he needs for some reason.

He looks to their bags again, their faces, then his own reflection in the rear view mirror. his bag was in the back of the truck. Everything and everyone was here. They could just.. go. They had gas and whatever they thought was necessary for them to bring with them. They had each other..

"Daryl?" Nanami calls.

Daryl looks back to them, nodding to himself.

He could say bye.

It was easier to do that and just let them go.

"Get in the truck," Daryl nods for them.

The twins break into a smile, glancing to each other then to Daryl.

"Really?" Sakiko asks.

"Put your stuff in the back with mine," he motions with his hand, "Let's go."

The twins hurriedly throw their bags into the truck. Daryl's hand lingers over the lock on the door before he takes a deep breath and unlocks it. Soon after, the twins are rounding the truck and climbing inside, Sakiko squished between the guys in the middle of the truck.

"Where are we going?" Nanami asks.

Daryl makes a sound under his breath as the twins get their seat belts on, a thing that makes his lips twitch like he wanted to smile.

"Anywhere that ain't here," Daryl answers, pulling them out of the parking spot.

Nanami rolls his window, leaning his head on the door and feeling the wind as they drive away. Sakiko takes a breath looking more peaceful than Daryl could remember. Daryl himself lets that small smile show.

They were out of here. They were free.

 They were free