lies and new friends

Bless Carl Grimes' selfless heart.

The kid tried to get to the twins time and time again, though only Nanami seemed to budge.

"My mom and Shane will get us somewhere safe," Carl assures.

"Your.. Your mom?" Nanami repeats.

Carl nods, motioning to Lori, "My mom."

Sakiko perks up at this, looking to Shane through the rear view mirror.

"You're not with the system?" she asks.

"System? What system exactly?" Shane wonders.

"For tro-" Nanami cuts himself off, looking to Sakiko, "Run aways."

"Y'all are run aways?" Shane asks, looking to the kids.

"Yes." - 'No."

The twins answer differently.

"Yes, no? Yes, no?" Shane questions, flicking his finger between them.

"It's not important," Sakiko shakes her head, "We're not run aways, but even if we were, it doesn't matter if you're not here to take us to some adoption place."

Lori cuts from her thoughts, dropping the ring that she'd been nervously spinning around on a chain around her neck, "Kids.. Never mind.."

"My sister is just angry and afraid," Nanami tries to course, "Things haven't been.. Easy.. lately."

"Daryl said he was watching you for a friend until those bombs hit. That true?" Shane asks.

At the name, Sakiko visibly shrinks into herself.

"That's true," Nanami nods.

"Great, so you're lying to me," Shane inspects.

"I'm.. What?" Nanami asks.

"Daryl actually said that he picked you two up when you were running away from home. He was going to bring you back until last night hit. Then, he called his brother and he showed up as well."

Daryl and Nanami's original lie to tell Merle.. Of course he would have told others the same just to be safe.

"So, you lied to me, too," Nanami accuses.

"You did it first," Shane reminds.

"Forget all of that," Sakiko sighs, "If you're not with the system, are you with the people that dropped those bombs? Do you know what's going on?"

Shane doesn't say anything at first until he grips the steering wheel tighter and sighs.

"Something bigger than we can imagine is going on, kids. But, I'm gonna get all of y'all to safety until it all blows over, I promise."

--

Sakiko and Nanami soon found that behind them was T-Dog and Glenn in the church van. If they looked further, they could see another two cars, then Daryl's truck just barely. They weren't sure if they should feel relieved or annoyed that Daryl had been there all along. behind Daryl's truck was the large RV that they'd remembered had the 'Dale' man.

The group had been on the road for a day or so until Shane pulled them in a full circle back near the city. There, they'd nearly ran over a man and woman who had been running from the city. T-Dog was the one to rush them into his van and continue on.

When questioned of his motives, Shane told Lori that he figured somewhere near the city yet far enough away was necessary. They needed to be in close range for the military to find while far enough that the 'things' couldn't find them. That's when he pulled them into the gating of a environmental park.