swords and knives

A scream rips from Sakiko's throat as she awakens from her nightmare- Daryl and Glenn shushing her quickly and as soothingly as possible.

"Nana.." she whimpers, "Where's Nana?"

The men share a look, then their eyes fall to the road ahead. The car hits a bump, Sakiko flinching and cowering closer to Maggie. Maggie rests her hand on Sakiko's back, rubbing gentle circles to ease the teen.

"We're.. We're going too far out. Nana might still be near the farm," Sakiko persuades.

"His tracks went cold, Kiko," Daryl reminds, throwing her a look over his shoulder.

The tracks, Sakiko remembers. The tracks that led away from the farm- fresh blood in the woods as a few walkers remained scattered. Sakiko hadn't had a bit of sleep that wasn't accompanied by the nightmares since she'd seen the blood and feared the worst.

Ahead, the car in front of them begins to slow down before pulling to a stop- Glenn following suit.

"Stick back, kids," Glenn orders before he, Daryl, and Maggie step out of the car.

Sakiko and Ryan were silent for a few seconds before Sophia and Carl are climbing into the car- Carl pulling Rick's jacket closer as he shivered.

"I think they're figuring out where to set up camp," Carl reveals with chattering teeth.

"I miss the RV," Sophia admits quietly.

"Shane and Rick will figure something out. They always have," Ryan attempts, though he sounded just as exhausted as the rest.

Sakiko stays quiet, reaching to her jacket pocket and pulling out her old knife from Daryl. Nanami had one matching.. Sakiko felt this was all she had left of her brother.

Though her face was stoic, Sakiko's mind was a storm.

'How could you just leave him?' 

'It should be you out there, not Nanami' 

'You did this to him. If you would've just been better, Nanami would be here'

Sakiko was so deep in her thoughts, she didn't even hear Carl until Ryan nudged her arm.

"What?" she finally asks.

"I said that's a cool knife. Where'd you get it?" Carl repeats.

"Daryl," she answers shortly.

"You guys get to carry knives and guns.. My mom still won't let me near them," Sophia pouts.

"My mom took the gun I had," Carl sighs, "All I have is the knife Shane gave me."

At the mention of guns, Sakiko shrinks further into her seat before rolling her eyes to herself.

Nanami was out there, why was she grieving him?

She was scared of guns, did that automatically mean she was weak?

Frustration builds up in Sakiko like a burning fire until she's clenching the knife in her hand until her knuckles turn white.

--

Waking up himself, Nanami stretches his arms out and nearly knocks over the lamp beside him. Wiping at his eyes, a low growling makes him reach for the gun he'd grown used to sleeping with. In the dark, a low chuckle is heard.

Nanami exhales, slumping back against the wall, "Sorry.. Still not used to it."

"Took me awhile to," the other admits.

Nanami turns on the small lamp, rolling his neck around.

"Hey, Michonne?" Nanami asks.

"Mm?" Michonne questions.