worse

Sakiko contemplated going to the police station and reporting her father- taking him and whoever else she could that had bought from him down. But, she wasn't sure if she could live with the guilt if she did that. She also wasn't sure if she could face her father if they didn't arrest him. Maybe he would stop, maybe he would get worse. She couldn't risk that.

Shinsuke didn't come looking for her that night, or maybe he had and just searched the wrong places. Another thing Sakiko wasn't sure about.

Instead, she waited outside the tobacco store all night and into the dawn. When the sun began to rise, she'd cried again at the realization that she'd stayed out all night and all alone at that.

Once her second crying fit had subsided, she dragged herself across the street to the diner that still held the 'closed' sign in the window. But, the familiar face inside wiping down tables to start the day was enough to make the girl's eyes well up again.

The waitress jumped when she'd finally noticed Sakiko outside and hurriedly unlocked the door to let her inside.

"Now, what on earth are you doing out this early? You look like you've been through the ringer," she investigates, pulling a chair out for Sakiko to sit.

"My.. My dad and I got into an argument. I.. snuck out," Sakiko places the lie together.

The waitress sighs heavily, walking behind the counter to fix the girl up a drink and quick snack to hold her over until the grill was ready to make her a proper meal.

"What was it about?" the waitress inquires.

Sakiko glances to her name tag as she returns with water, noticing that over the months of knowing each other, she hadn't learned the woman's name. 'Janet' was her name.

"Uh.. Grades," Sakiko decides on answering- it wasn't a complete lie anyway.

"Aren't you out for summer break?" Janet remembers.

"Almost failed the semester," Sakiko says, deciding that guzzling the water was better than talking as she lets out a soft, "Thank you."

"Parents and their kids.. It's a constant battle of love and hate, I do believe. Then, the kid is moving out before their eyes and life flashes by before you could treasure the small moments," Janet reminisces as she returns to cleaning the tables.

Her support was kind, but Sakiko could only imagine the woman's reaction if she knew the full story.

Sakiko did understand the 'flashed by' idea. She couldn't help but question how they ended up here so easily and quickly. It all happened so fast, it seemed.

"It wasn't like this before," Sakiko admits.

"Oh yeah?" Janet hums.

"It was easy before. It was.. it was better before," she recalls.

The time the twins mother was still around.. Those were the better times. The good times.

"Was it?" Janet asks, obliviousness that made Sakiko jealous.

Sakiko forces the real situation out of her head, trying to match her attitude to the story Janet only knew pieces of.

"It was," Sakiko nods, "School used to be easier and dad didn't push as hard then."

"Well, in the end, parents and kids always love each other. Maybe you should head home and talk things out with him. Grades are no reason to fret and disappear," Janet encourages.

Sakiko forces a smile, nodding her head. Once the chef had readied the grill, Janet put in an order of food to go and paid for it, sending it with Sakiko who began the journey outside.

--

Nanami was relieved to spend a couple nights at his friend's house, but when he returned home, he could sense something was off.

"Hey," Nanami greets his dad, "I'm home."

"Sakiko with you?" Shinsuke asks.

"No.. Why? Was she supposed to meet up with me?"

Shinsuke sighs and shakes his head, "It's nothing. I've got work in a couple hours, you should get ready."

Nanami nods and makes his way to his room to put his bag away for the night. He hears the front door open, figuring it was Sakiko returning from wherever she was. But, as she walks in, the yelling is quickly back on.

"Where the hell were you?" Shinsuke's voice demands.

"If you're gonna yell at me, I'll just go again! I came back, didn't I?" Sakiko complains.

"Like hell you are! You aren't leaving this house until I say so."

"Why? So your little druggie buddies can see me? What'll happen then?" Sakiko pries.

Nanami rushes back to the living room in time to see his father's hand raised in the air. Panicked, he runs forward and grabs Sakiko's arm and drags her back just in time. The relief is short lived as Shinsuke shoves Nanami away harshly and grabs Sakiko's arm.

"You gonna hit me again?" Sakiko asks, fighting in her dad's grasp.

The word 'again' echoes in Nanami's head and he steps forward again, grabbing his dad's arm and pleading, "Stop! Please, whatever is going in, just stop!"

Shinsuke pulls free from Nanami and shoves him again, this time sending Nanami to the floor.

"Nanami!" Sakiko cries, beginning after her brother.

Just before she could reach him, Shinsuke grabs her by her hair, landing a full slap to her face- the same side as last night that knocks her to the floor.

Nanami shakes off the feeling of shock, crawling over to Sakiko and puts her behind him while they stay on the floor.

"Dad.. I don't know what's going on, but.. Please, stop," Nanami begs.

Shinsuke shakes his head, pacing back and forth a few times with his hands on his hips.

"You two.. You're really pushing me here lately," Shinsuke sighs through his stress.

Sakiko was shaking in a mix of anger and fear where as Nanami felt blindsided by everything. What had he missed in the two days he was away?

Shinsuke pauses his actions, fumbling with his hands to his belt, pulling the leather off, "Get up."

"Dad.." Nanami startles, looking at the belt.

"Get up!" their father shouts.

The twins help each other to their feet, Nanami placing a protective arm in front of Sakiko.

"My dad used switches and said your mother and I were making a mistake not discipling you that way. It's not too late to start," Shinsuke says, holding the belt in his hands.

 It's not too late to start," Shinsuke says, holding the belt in his hands