same as last time

The weekend that followed felt like pure hell on Daryl's end as he fought himself to not go to the Otani household. Merle still had a couple weeks to spend in his jail cell for his second DUI- if Daryl went alone, it would only look strange.

Instead, he waited until Monday and showed up to the tobacco store early to wait outside for the girl that he'd unintentionally hurt.

When it came the usual time for her to show up, Daryl found himself pacing by his bike. When he realized what he was doing, he scoffed at himself and leaned against the bike, taking out one of his newly bought cigarettes.

He was halfway done with it when Sakiko made her presence, her backpack on normally, hands gripping the straps, and eyes on the ground.

"Hey, kid," Daryl greets.

Sakiko pays him no mind, trying to walk past him. Daryl mentally beats himself up for their last conversation.

"Kid," he tries again, standing up straight.

Daryl felt a bit angered when she ignored him again and took a few steps to her, his longer legs easily catching up to her as he grabs her backpack softly and tugs her back.

"What? Now you ain't even talk to me?" he asks her.

"No. I don't want to talk to a druggie," she snaps.

Daryl was stunned for a moment as she rips free from his hold and continues walking. When he realizes she was a few feet away, he hurriedly catches up to her.

"Hey, who the hell told you that?" he demands.

"No one. I just know," she answers, still walking.

"I ain't that," he shakes his head, "I-"

"I walked home and saw my dad messed up out of his brain with one of his 'work partners'. You gonna tell me that that's not why you and Merle go to my house?" she asks.

Stunned again, Daryl realizes everything all at once and all too brutally. Sakiko stops walking to look up at him, trying to fight the tears that built in her eyes.

Daryl knew that face. That was the face he held when he saw Merle's stash. That was the face he had when his father hit him for the first time. That hurt, the pain, the betrayal. He knew that face because he lived those times.

Sakiko exhales sharply, turning to continue walking. She was right, after all- in a way, at least.

Daryl had to let her know that he wasn't like them, but he couldn't get his mouth to call after her or his feet to chase her again.

--

Nanami had been in the dark over the past week as he'd always returned home too tired to discuss much of anything.

Only Sakiko noticed how their father's eyes grew redder over the days. Only Sakiko saw how antsy he'd become. Only Sakiko saw the signs, and only she knew why it was happening.

Spring break reminded the twins of winter break as they returned to their spots in the diner.

That was when Nanami noticed the signs in his sister. Her eyes held bags, her shoulders slumped, she spoke quieter. How had he just now seen it?

The sad thing is that he'd only caught on because their usual waitress had asked Sakiko if she was feeling all right only for the girl to fake a smile and nod, making up a quick lie that she hadn't slept well the previous night.

"You sure you're okay?" Nanami asks.

"Fine," Sakiko shrugs, twirling her straw in her drink, "Just tired."