CHAPTER 31

Hi, hello 👉🏾👈🏾
Happy reading!

The journey back to my room was a loud and violent one. I only stopped screaming when we passed Willows room. I struggled once again to get out of Carrison's grip  and was surprised when he let me go. But it was only because we were in my room.

" Get out of my way." I tried to push past him but he slammed the door shut.

" Devenity, I'll bear with you this once-" The rage in his voice made me pause.  He looked angrier than I'd seen him. " But if you ever lay your hands on my Alpha ever again-"

" I'd rather not see your Alpha, talk less of touching him." I retorted trying to get past him.

" Deven..." Carrison sighed and said quietly. " I know you're upset. I know you want justice for your sister but, it has to wait. This is politics and it can't be overridden by your emotions."

A war was brewing. He was right. I knew he had a point but all I could wrap my head around was the fact that willow was dead and Brutus was not. I moved away from him.

" Leave my room please."

He sighed and walked to the door. He paused. " Deven..."

" Just go." He did.

〰️〰️〰️

From my windows, I could see the flowers that marked where Willow was buried. Her passing rites had been a quiet and sad one and after it, I found myself in self imposed confinement. My desire to be left alone had been respected by all except well, the Dowager Luna. She tried day after day to get me to go to one function or the other. To better acquaint myself with Aradia's highborn.

You couldn't even tell Aradia was being threatened with war. Balls and Galas were held nonstop especially now that Avon had sent Princess Raelynn to the castle for the duration of the war. Everyone had so much faith in the werewolves. They believed Rhydian would end the war with very little mishap. They hadn't seen the Eastern army. I had.

Someone knocked on my door. I sighed certain it was the Dowager Luna. She had tried extra hard to get to me to attend Rhydian's coronation which was happening presently.

I had refused. I hadn't seen Rhydian since Willow's death and I planned to keep it that way. I realized the Dowager Luna never knocked.

" Deven?"

The sound of Rhydian's voice stilled me. I hadn't been expecting him. He was supposed to be at his coronation, or was it over already? I shifted in the seat where I'd been all day, staring at Willow's grave, as the door opened.

He had the Aradian Circlet resting on his dark mane of hair. He was king now. The King of Aradia. I had mixed feelings seeing him. I couldn't deny that I'd missed him but my anger and irritation was still fresh in my mind.

I turned back to the window and heard him move to sit on my bed. Silence reigned in the room.

" I would like for you to join me this evening for the ceremony." He said quietly.

" No." Was all I said. I heard him get up. So, he was just going to leave? I hated how depressed that made me feel. I told myself not to care but, I couldn't help it.

Then, I felt his hand on my back as he tucked my hair behind my ears. I froze, glad for the tingles his hand elicited where they brushed against my neck and at the same time, hating myself for it.

" When is this going to end?" He asked.

" When Brutus has a sword through his heart. Or skull. Whichever causes more pain." I said, keeping my eyes away from him.

" Stop talking this way. This isn't you."

I turned and was struck by the tired look on his face. I Ignored it." He hit you. He hit me. He tried to rape me and abused my sister. What more do you need?"

" I don't need any reason at all." He said, drawing circles on my back with his finger. " He will be tried after the war, Devenity." He assured.

I rolled my eyes and got up, away from his touch. I went to the door and opened it. " Then talk to me after the war."

He reached for me.

" Don't touch me." I yanked my hand away and flinched inwardly at the insecurity that clouded his eyes.

" Don't say that. I'm your mate. You crave my touch, you can't help it. As much as you tell me to leave, I know you'd rather I stayed."

I forced myself to laugh in order to hide the fact they there was truth to his words. Good goddess, I missed him. I missed all of him. It was torture sleeping alone without having him against my back, kissing my neck- No! I cleared those out of my mind as soon as they came in. I couldn't think that way. He'd know.

" Trust me, the very thought of you leaving brings me much joy." I refused to look at him and he just stood there, begging me with his eyes to give in.

" Come to the ceremony, Deven, your presence there is essential as the future Luna."

I laughed at his words and proceeded to sit on the bed. " I will not marry you, Alpha King." I said mockingly, surprising myself. I had no idea what I was doing but there was no going back.

The look of frustration on his face intensified. I could feel it growing with every second. Next thing I knew, he picked up a bottle of scent and threw it right at me.

I was too shocked to react. The bottle missed me by a wide mark and crashed into the wall by my bed, enveloping the room in lavender. Even though I knew he hadn't aimed for me, I was frozen shock.

Rhydian face was slack in disbelief. I could tell he couldn't believe he'd boiled over like that. " I'm so sorry, Deven. I would never hurt you. You know that." He whispered.

I blinked some of the shock away. " Really?" How can I be sure. You have a bad track record of keeping promises." I got to my feet and paced, still shaken.

" When you talk like that, you don't know what that does me." He said quietly

" I don't care. I just want that bastard de-" I paused surprised at the sight, the greeted me outside my window.

The courtyard below was swarming with people. I recognized them. My kind, released from cells. I turned questioningly.

" This is why I wanted you to attend the ceremony. I will be announcing their release and that- Aradia will be bequeathing to them, all their land back."

My eyes widened some more. This was great news. The best I'd heard all day. Heck, all week. We would finally have some semblance of freedom from the wolves. I didn't know whether to take all I had said back or not.

No. This was all well and good, but Willow was still dead and Brutus was not. I smiled at Rhydian and saw his light up.

" Thank you." I said and moved to the door again. " Now leave." I threw open the door. Rhydian buried his face in his palm and groaned tiredly but he got up and stood outside the door.

" Come to the ceremony, please?"

" Unfortunately your highness, I will have to decline. But I'm sure you will take great comfort in the presence of your ah, other women."

" Devenity!"

" Get out!" I slammed the door shut.

..................................................................................

If you made it to the end, drop a hello ♥️

I have a question everyone. Which would you prefer, chapter about 4k+ long or shorter chapters? Please respond 🥺👉🏾👈🏾