Chapter 6: Guilt

I watched tiny dust motes dance around in the sunlight streaming in through my room window.

Outside, birds sang sweetly heralding the start of the new day but I heard none of it. All I could hear were the screams of my people as they jumped into the treacherous sea.

They didn't just scream in fear and pain anymore. Now, I could hear the accusations lacing their screams. I could hear the pain that I had caused them resonate through it and I heard it all night. I had tossed and turned, unable to shake off my guilt.

I didn't feel guilty because I had kissed that man. No. I was willing to do that and more to get that Ardenite. I would do anything to ensure the satisfaction of seeing severed wolf heads at my feet. I would do anything for my imprisoned brethren.

I felt guilty because ...I had really enjoyed the kiss. I had craved more. My thoughts when I had put my hands around his neck was that I would remain stoic through the 'ordeal'. It had hurt to think that I would give myself to a Werewolf but now it hurt more that he had been able to kiss that hurt away.

" Oooh." I groaned. Just thinking about that kiss sent pleasurable jolts coursing down to my vulva. It was moist again and I bit my still bruised lips. My fingers grew minds of their own and moved down there.

What would it feel like to -

" Devenity!"

I sat up, startled out of my train of thought. A fresh wave of embarrassment washed over me.

Sierra climbed up the ladder. Her face was lit up like a star filled night.

" What is it?" I asked.

" The Dowager Luna. She's here!"

〰️〰️〰️

Milah was all thumbs as she poured tea into a tiny China teacup and served the Dowager Luna.

Even I couldn't help but feel nervous as I regarded the Queen mother. Like most Werewolves, in her old age she still looked young and beautiful. Her body which was swathed in a long overflowing dress of emerald green silk was still muscular. I had heard that she had been a warrior in her youth.

She accepted the small, inexpensive teacup with much grace, the very epitome of a royal.

" To what do we owe the honour of your visit, your majesty?" Milah asked, her voice small and shaky.

The Dowager Luna sipped the tea. That simple act seemed to hold everyone in awe ...except Czar. He sat the furthest from her and regarded her with little interest.

" Your isolation." She said, her voice somewhat haughty. " I believe it is to end a week from today?"

" Yes, your majesty." Milah answered.

The Dowager Luna nodded.

" That has been changed. Your isolation has ended as of today. You will still have the land, horses and the sheep, of course, but now you will be allowed to work in whatever occupation you so desire. In Aradia."

Our faces dropped in surprise and joy. This was great! This way, I could get an Ardenite faster. The Dowager Luna had no idea how stupid this decision was.

" But why this change your majesty?" Milah asked.

" I'm not finished yet." The Dowager Luna said, her voice clipped. " That is for the men. The women on the other hand are obliged to reside in the palace for a month. They are to be trained in the ways of the court."

" Ways of the court?" I blurted out, speaking for the first time. " What does that even mean?"

The Dowager Luna regarded me with a strange look in her eyes and I realized I hadn't added 'your majesty'. I bit my lip stubbornly, refusing to say it.