Chapter 19: Crystal

A huge thank you to icemykittypapiamby
Thank you for voting and commenting 🤗

By the time we got to the castle, it was almost midnight. Of course we didn't take the front gate. There was a secret gate at the castles posterior.

Rhydian let me down. He took my hand and we walked in a somewhat comfortable silence towards the gate. I was still a bit angry with him and I wasn't sure where exactly we stood on our ...relationship but at that moment, I decided to just pretend things were ok between us.

" Honestly," Rhydian said, a smile growing on his face. " What you did in the forest was really brave."

" You mean when I killed two vampires?" I asked smugly.

He grinned at me and I gave a dramatic sigh.

" I was brave wasn't I? Maybe one day I'll teach you one or two things about killing vampires."

He raised one perfect arched eyebrow at me.

" I'm sure I can manage without your ...teachings."

I gave a look of mock surprise.

" Oh I'm sorry, who killed two vampires again and who killed just one?"I asked sweetly.

The vampire he'd attacked had still been alive when he was burnt by the soldiers.

He laughed and said

" Good point. I'll keep your offer in mind. Still," he continued. " I didn't expect it from you."

" You mean you didn't expect it from a moon witch?" I asked frowning. We'd reached the gate now and stood by it waiting for Carrison who was supposed to open it up for us from the inside.

" No." He said quickly. " I meant -"

" It's alright." I said genuinely not bothered. " Moon people have always been underestimated especially because during the purge, it took only a night to destroy over thirty covens. Your father is a wise man. He chose a moonless night for the attacks because our crystal would have very little charge. Wise strategy." My voice had gotten quiet. " But with fully charged crystals," I forced a smile on my face. " You don't want to know what we're capable of." I said jokingly to keep things light.

" Regardless," Rhydian said. " You were incredible. Besides," He added, his voice low. " My father has proven he's not so wise."

I smiled and refrained from trying to get more information about his father. If he wanted to tell me, he would have already. His next words though cleared the smile from my face.

" Where did you get the Ardenite from though?" He asked looking at me intently.

I looked away as nervousness bubbled in my chest.

" Er..."

" Did Diana give it to you?" He asked darkly and my heart skipped a beat in a bad way.

I didn't want him to connect mother Diana with the crystal especially because he didn't seem to like her and because for some reason, they still did not want us with crystals.

" I stole it." I blurted out, my heart thudding.

He looked mildly surprised.

" From Diana?"

" No ..." I said my mouth dry. Damn those vampires for showing up. " From the Caliber estate." His raised eyebrow told me he didn't believe me.

" Devenity," he said softly. " I'm not angry at you. You can be honest with me."