Chapter 15: Coven

A huge thank you to Itsschaozz for the awesome new cover!!!

Before my very eyes, the forest seemed to stretch out and several cabins and huts came into view. I'd gotten so used to the huge buildings and castles in Aradia. It came as a welcome surprise to see these small intimate homes.

Moon people preferred to live in huts mainly. The type that had thatched roofs, and creepers crawling all over it. In a coven, the huts were usually close together. The only big building was usually the coven leaders house because that was where most meetings were held.

People began to emerge from the homes, curious to see the visitors. There were no one familiar in the crowd at first glance but I was still glad to see so many people like me. I looked so different from them now in my Aradian style dress. Moon witches dressed very differently, preferring two pieces dresses and sheer scarves. While Aradian women preferred fancy updos, moon witches preferred to leave their hair down or in a braided ponytail.

The crowd of murmuring moon people parted and an old woman came through. She was tall and thin with thick whitened hair that fell to her feet. She was covered in chalk marks and had several necklaces made of different types of crystals dangling from her neck.

The coven leader. She was a woman so she would be addressed as the coven mother.

As was tradition, I fell to my knees to be blessed by her.

She beamed in approval and drew an invisible 'O' which represented the full moon on my forehead.

" The Moon goddess who is good, bless you my child." The coven mother said.

" Her blessings which are good, I receive." I said and suddenly began to tear up. I hadn't received the blessings of the goddess in three years. I felt so out of touch with our traditions.

" I have been expecting you." She said surprising me. " What is your name, child?" The coven mother asked.

" Devenity, coven mother." I answered and then caught myself. I wasn't a part of this coven and so I had to address her as the coven leader. " I'm sorry, I know I'm not a part of this coven."

She smiled kindly at me.

" We are the survivor coven. Every of our brethen are a part of us."

I nodded feeling grateful. She turned her attention to Rhydian who stood a few feet away, watching quietly.

" Alpha." She said. " I thought I already gave you my answer."

" I'm not here for that Diana." Rhydian said and I cringed at his rudeness. Not only was he speaking rudely but he'd also called the coven mother by her name which wasn't allowed. " She wanted to see the coven."

" So, you still have moon people locked up in your dungeons?" The coven mother asked, her voice neutral.

" Yes." Rhydian said simply.

" Then why have you released her? Could the eastern barrier be a reason? Or the Red forest? Perhaps you have brought her here to sway my mind?"

" She doesn't know about any of that." Rhydian said, his voice clipped.

I had no idea what they were talking about.

" Um, coven mother, seven of us were released." I informed.

The coven mother nodded.

" It seems they are treating you well." She said and I nodded reluctantly. We were being treated well. She turned to the watching crowd. " We have a king in our midst again." She said to them. " And we will welcome him accordingly.