CHAPTER 33

The war had begun and I was barricaded in the Rivinlyte castle with the vast majority of
Aradia and Avon royalties, mainly women and children.

I was lying, restless in bed with Milah and Sierra. We had taken to sleeping in the same place, comforting one another. While I was all for that, it stopped me doing what I'd planned to do since the Aradian army rode to war.

Killing Brutus. Tonight, I would not be daunted.

Milah and Sierra were fast asleep beside me. I eased out of bed, careful not to wake them and inched out if the room through the window with the help of my Ardenite.

There was a good number of guards left behind to protect the Castle and its occupants. I managed to sneak past then and found my way to where Brutus was being kept. The door wasn't guarded by anyone but, it was locked from the outside. I went in and looked around.

He was on his bed, asleep. The very sight of him filled me with revulsion. I eased closer, quietly. He stirred but didn't wake, scratching his chin and smacking his lips in his sleep, clearly having an enjoyable dream. Something Willow would never be able to have.

I unsheathed the dagger I'd brought along and the air was suddenly filled with the scent of wolfsbane. I'd previously dipped the blade in essence. It had been difficult to procure but the stress would be worth it.

He had recovered from Rhydian's beating. He would never recover from this. I raised the dagger, its sharp end pointing at his vulnerable chest.

" Drop it Devenity."

The familiarity of the voice alone was enough to make me drop the dagger. It felt, soundlessly to the bed as I stared wide eyed at the person standing by the doorway.

It was Willow. I blinked at her in utter shock. " Willow... but you're... you're-"

" Dead?" She raised an eyebrow at me and then laughed. " I am. Luna wanted me as a messenger so, here I am."

She walked towards me and I noted her body shimmered in the pale candlelight. She wasn't really here.

" It's good to see you once again." She said and I looked up at her. I could see through her bed. I felt tears prick at my eyes. She really wasn't here.

" I miss you so much."

" Don't worry about me. I'm resting and I'm resting well. You, however do not have that luxury just yet. Luna wants you where the war is. You're needed there."

I shook my head. " I don't think I can leave the palace. Security is tight."

Willow nodded.

" I know." She held out her hand and I reached for it, surprised by how solid her fingers felt between mine.

The room began to melt away and I found myself in a snow laden forest. I thought momentarily of Brutus lying peacefully in his 'cell' but that anger anger faded away when I realized I recognized this location. I'd been here before, in my vision.

" The camps are that way." She pointed and I turned to see but, when I turned back, she was gone

My breath caught in my throat. I shouldn't have let go of her hand. I inched forward, scanning tye woods desperately for any sign of her.

" Willow!"

" I don't want to see you anytime soon, Deven." Willow's voice carried in the wind.

I stopped and stared off into space, a smile tugging at my lips at her words. " You won't." I promised.

I turned back in the direction she had pointed me in. I recognized the clearing. Soon, it would be overrun both armies clawing at each other.

I could see the camp spread out beneath me from where I stood. It was vast and I wasn't sure how I would find Rhydian here.