Chapter 12: First

Happy new month everyone 💃💃💃

I'm dedicating this chapter to deviously_innocent
Thank you for reading Entwined and thank you for your awesome comments 😊

When I opened my eyes, I was in my bedroom, lying in bed. The blinds were drawn and the room was dimly lit by some candles. I could hear the sound of rain outside. It had been sunny last I remembered and I couldn't tell what time of the day it was.

Sierra was lying on the bed beside me. I shifted and immediately regretted it. The pain in my waist was still unbearable. Ignoring it, I sat up and placed my fingers on my waist. It felt bruised but it wasn't swollen.

" You're awake." Milah said. She was seated on a chair by the bed in her night clothes. " You gave us a scare, Deven."

" Again." Sierra said, sitting up and rubbing her sleepy eyes. " That corset probably almost killed you."

" But according to the Dowager Luna, it was nothing." Milah shook her head. " She said you had to learn how to wear a corset."

" That it's part of our training." Sierra rolled her eyes. It was the first time she was showing anything other than awe to something the Dowager Luna had done.

" You should have seen the way the prince reacted." She continued. " Like you were going to die or something."

" Rhydian?" I asked and grabbed my throat. It was dry and sore, probably from screaming.

Milah gave me some water.

" You were given some oral drugs. The healer said it would be drying and that you should take a lot of water."

The bedroom door was opened.

" Is she awake?" I heard Rhydian ask, except it didn't sound like him at all. His voice was lacking its usual cocksure and arrogant quality.

" Yes, your highness." Milah answered.

Rhydian walked in slowly. Because of the dim lighting, I couldn't see his face.

" He's been sitting outside your room for hours." Sierra whispered to me.

" Can you excuse us for a moment?" Rhydian asked. When Milah and Sierra left, he moved to the side table and poured some more water into the cup.

" You should drink some water." He said, his voice still so ...down.

" I already -" I began and grabbed my throat again. It was still so dry. Without another word, I accepted the cup from him and drank deeply.

He sat at the edge of the bed, far away from me. His hair was a total mess, like he'd been running his hand through it. He was still wearing his tunic shirt but it was rumpled and unfastened at the neck. I stared wide eyed, wondering what was wrong with him.

" Rhydian?" I asked, unsure of what to do.

" I'm sorry." He whispered, his head low.

Sorry? What did he have to be sorry for? After all, he was the one who had gotten the darned corset off.

" For what?" I asked with a confused laugh.

" This," he gestured at me, without still looking at me. " is my fault."

" Er..." I said, edging closer. " The Dowager Luna made me wear the corset, not you."

He finally looked at me and in the dim light, I saw something in his eyes. Guilt? Pain? Whatever it was, I wanted it gone.