Chapter 5: Lust

This chapter is rated R. If that's not ok with you, you can skip it.

I couldn't take my eyes off of Czar He was dancing with a female royal. She had on earrings and a ring made with Ardenite. The target was the ring but it seemed to take forever for Czar to slip it off her fingers.

" Ow!" Cayden groaned. I'd stepped on his foot. Again.

" I'm sorry." I said. " But you insisted on dancing with me and you know I can't waltz."

Cayden grinned and sighed in mock resignment.

" It's a small price to pay for dancing with you." He drew me a little closer than was necessary. I struggled not to sigh. It seemed Cayden couldn't take no for an answer.

The waltz was coming to end. Czar would lose this chance it seemed. If we weren't able to get an Ardenite tonight, our plans would be delayed indefinitely.

Suddenly, Czar gave me a direct look and my heart thudded. He had the ring. He had done his part and now I had to do mine. We had decided that it would be too dangerous for Czar to hold on to the ring. If the royal noticed it was missing, he could be searched. If he was found with it, it would lead to a very painful end for him. The plan was to pass it to me and I would hold on to it.

I steered Cayden towards Czar and the woman. Cayden raised an eyebrow.

" So now you want to dance?" He asked surprised.

" I might as well try." I said, distracted.

We were so close. I saw Czar subtly extend his left hand and then -

" Mind if I cut in?" Someone asked.

The exchange was so fast that I was left feeling disoriented. One second I was about to get the ring from Czar, the next I was being twirled away from him, in the arms of a stranger.

" Yes." I said angrily and tried to pull out of his arms but his grip around my waist was tight and only got tighter as I struggled against him.

I looked up at the man. He was tall! with big broad shoulders. I could feel the muscles beneath his clothes where my hand lay on his arm. His jaw was strong and chiseled and ...he was incredibly handsome.

The most striking thing about him were his eyes, emerald green and bright in the candlelight. No human could have eyes this bright. He was either a Fae or a Werewolf. The Fae people were usually on the effeminate side. Judging from his build, he was most definitely a Werewolf.

I shrank away from him at this realization and he pulled me even closer. I didn't care if people saw, I wanted to be rid of him but his hold on me was too strong to fight and he steered us perfectly in accordance to the dance ...away from the ring.

" Let me go." I demanded, my voice ice.

He raised an eyebrow.

" Are you worried about your lover?" I could hear the cockiness in his voice. He was definitely a Werewolf.

" Lover?" I asked momentarily confused and then realized he was talking about Cayden. I didn't care enough to correct him. I just wanted out of his arms.

He twirled me around by a hand and I tried to use that to escape him, but I was dragged back. I slammed into his chest, breathless.

I looked up at him, letting him see the fire in my eyes.

" You're fiesty." He murmured looking pleased.

" You're irritating!" I said. " Unhand me!"

He was taken aback by my outburst. People were beginning to stare but I didn't care.