Chapter 18: Vampires

Dedicated to Mermaid_Mom
Thank you for your votes ❤️

I was frozen with shock at what I was seeing beneath me.

Vampires.

They were horrible deceitful beings . The Werewolves had a long time ago stopped feeding on creatures other than animals but the vampires had refused to stop, preying mainly on humans and merebeings but they also liked to feed on moon witches and faes. Many years ago, they had been driven to the east by a Werewolf horde and the ancient moon people had put up the barrier with the aid of the Ardenites. That was the only time in history that Werewolves and moon people had worked together.

But there were no vampires in the East. Eryk Rivinlyte had driven out the few that had gotten through the barrier, three years ago ...but my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. There were actually four vampires here.

Still smiling at me, one of them said,

" Why don't you bring her down to play, dog?"

I heard Rhydians warning growl. I knew Rhydian was big and strong and incredibly fast but vampires were also as strong and fast as a werewolf ...and there were four of them. From the vibrant red of their eyes, they had fed recently. I wondered what poor soul had become a last meal.

Suddenly, my vision came flashing back. Good goddess, was this it? Was this how I become a ...No! I just couldn't be one of them. I couldn't do that to Rhydian ...make him a last meal.

Another looked up at me with a blood chilling smile.

" Don't fret hun, you won't miss out on any of the fun, I assure you."

" Get your eyes off her." Rhydian snapped in a voice that made me recoil but only made their smile grow.

" Possessive much, are we now?" The second one asked then laughed.

" The girl's not a wolf." The third said.

" I noticed. She smells delicious. Unlike him." The first said. He seemed to be in charge of the other three. He sauntered forward and Rhydian tensed.

Good goddess, I didn't want to watch this.

" Since you're going to be dead soon dog, I won't tell you what we'll do with her but I can assure you ... it'll be fun. For us at least." He said and the others broke out in sniggers. To them he said, " kill him." Then he moved so quickly towards my tree.

Rhydian got to him just as quickly, grabbed his hand and used it to toss him many feet into the air, in the opposite direction of my tree.

The vampire landed easily on his knees and glared at Rhydian.

" You're going to be like that? So be it then."

The four vampires charged him at once.

Rhydian went on to meet them and jumped into the air. Mid jump, his wolf burst through, ripping his clothes to shreds, and he took down three of them with him. The other raced towards me. The wolf was pushed off. It turned its attention to the solo one and chased after it.

The vampire jumped, landing easily on the branch I was on. With a startled gasp, I pressed myself against the body of the tree in an attempt to create a lot of space between us.

A second later, he was knocked off by a black blur and the wolf began to furiously tear him apart even before they reached the ground.

There was no blood as the vampire became no more than a head and a torso. His limbs were thrown around the forest. Of course he was still alive and he cried out for help.