Chapter Twenty Five

The next day, the Gladers returned to the Glade. Thomas had woken back up only hours ago, searching frantically for Jay. He had asked every Glader he had come across but with no success.

Newt and Alecks had been combing through the fields but they turned up empty. "Where is she?!" Thomas roared in anguish, falling to his knees. It had started to rain.

Rain? The Gladers looked up at the sky in confusion. They always had good weather. That is until Thomas arrived. Commotion emerged from the side closest to the forest.

Thomas looked up from his spot on the ground and had to blink twice to make sure if what he saw was real. Minho carried a limp Jay in his arms, his face downcast. The Gladers quieted and split like the Red Sea to let Minho get to Thomas.

Thomas' breathing quickened as he stood up slowly. The rain ran down his face, crying for him. The thunder was his sorrowful cries. The lightning was the jolts of despair repeatedly striking his heart.

She couldn't be dead. There was no way. Minho arrived in front of Thomas, handing over Jay. Thomas took her in his arms and held her close. Dry blood caked her shirt.

Three prominent claw marks had raked across her stomach. Gally had raised his voice to protest that everything was Thomas' fault, but Minho quieted him with a burning glare. Faults would be dealt the next day.

"I'm sorry.." Thomas whispered softly and leaned his forehead against Jay's. Tears slid down his dirt stained cheeks, leaving tracks in their wake. But he still wouldn't believe it.

The Gladers had all started to retreat to make repairs and to fix any collateral damage done by the Grievers.

Newt and Alecks stayed with a grieving Thomas. Newt's arm tightened around Alecks' waist. He didn't know what would happen if it was Alecks instead. As if sensing his stress, Alecks planted a soft kiss on his jaw. "I'm okay." She whispered softly into his ear.

"I know." He murmured back with a soft sigh. "Let's go. It's best we leave Thomas alone for now." Alecks replied softly, looking at the sad sight before them. Newt nodded solemnly and started to walk with Alecks to the homestead. He sat on a nearby hammock in silence, Alecks doing the same.

"I don't know what I would do if that happened to you..." His voice was soft and gentle. Flashes of Griever's ran through his mind in one quick thought. Alecks put both hands on either sides of his face on his cheeks. "I'm here. Newt I'm fine. Look at me."

Newt's eyes looked up from the spot on the ground where he had fixated them on. "I'm fine." She repeated, her eyes gazing into his. His hand pressed against the small of her back to bring her closer. "Promise me you won't go." Newt whispered, their noses touching. "I promise." Alecks smiled faintly and pressed her lips against his.

But she knew that there was no possible way she could keep it. Something would happen. And then there was no way she could go back on her word.

Thomas brought Jay to the infirmary but he refused to believe that it was hopeless. That she was dead.

[] Hai guise! How's the chapter? Criticism is encouraged😋 Chp 26 will be up in a few days. []