Chapter Six

The next morning, Jay shook Thomas briskly. He wakes up with a yawn as he looked over at her. Her usual grinning face was replaced with a nervous look. "They've decided punishment for Ben... Alby wants you to see this."

Thomas nodded, starting the walk over with Jay to where the Gladers stood in a half circle with peculiar poles.

"Fair warning, this isn't going to be pretty." Jay joked, trying to make light on the current situation. "I know." Thomas chuckled a bit, sighing.

Newt tossed a pole to Jay and she grabs it easily as she walks to take her place next to him.

They bantered lightly as they waited for Minho and Ben, trying to ease the tension. Thomas felt a strange feeling grow inside him.

Jealousy? No. He can't be jealous for a girl he's only known for three days! Can't he?

Jay and Newt stopped as Minho came into view with Ben that had a bag over his head. He pushed him into the middle of the circle as Thomas watched with Chuck.

Thomas gulped as they pull the bag off of Ben's head. "Poles!" Yelled Alby's deep voice. They lowered the poles as Ben begged and pleaded while the doors started to close.

"Please! Jay! Alby! Newt!" Ben wailed, Minho tossing a bag of water into the maze for him. They kept pushing him in against his struggles.

Thomas winced a bit as he started to get a little violent, thrashing around. They kept forcing him in until he was fully inside the maze.

A last agonized yell escaped him as the doors slammed shut. Everyone remained silent. "We do this for the good of the group." Alby stated to Thomas, leaning his pole against the wall after walking away.

Jay and Newt walked over to Thomas after leaving their poles. "C'mon Greenie. Time for you to work with the Slicers today." Jay grinned as Newt chuckled.

The rest of the day was a bloody mess. Literally. Thomas, Jay and Newt where covered in blood when they left the slaughterhouse.

"See you tomorrow Thomas." Jay smiled and bit her lip. "Yeah. Night, Jay." Thomas watched in disappointment as she walked off with Newt to talk.

He had a restless sleep, dreaming so endlessly.

About her.