Chapter Fourteen

I'm afraid I'll have to push up character entries due on tuesday. They are needed for the plot to go on so I will probably not update tomorrow.

Jay woke up with a soft yawn and sat up, rubbing her eyes. She looked over at the sleep induced Thomas next to her and smiled as she remembered the previous night.

Thomas woke up minutes later and remembered he had to take a team of boys to see the dead Griever. Not feeling Jay next to him, he sat up frantically and looked around, sighing in relief as his eyes landed on her.

"Morning." She chuckled and he rolled his eyes. "You scared me." He brought her close to him with a chuckle.

Jay smiled and snuggled closer to him. Thomas rested his chin on her head after kissing it softly.

"I have to take a team of boys to see the dead Griever. Can you go to the map room and jot down what we saw last night?" She nodded in response. "How soon do you have to go?"

"In an hour. But we still have time." Thomas smiled and pulled her closer. Jay grinned and looked up at him. "What do you want to do?"

"Be with my girl." Thomas grinned cheekily as Jay chuckled. "Cheeseball." She teased and poked his cheek.

"Hey Jay." Newt had appeared before the couple, containing his jealousy. "Yeah?" She replied and looked over at him. "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Sure. I'll be back soon." She said, turning to Thomas as she said the last part. Kissing her cheek, Thomas let go of her and watched them walk away.

He couldn't help but feel that something was slightly off about Newt. Newt had been ignoring Thomas and usually talked to Jay. Does he have a thing for Jay?

( and before you say 'omg jay is like such a []s word[] reminder that the boys haven't seen any other girl in yeaars.)

The thought had crossed Thomas' mind before but he had never actually given any thought to it.

Standing up, he discreetly followed them to the shack. "J-Jay...." He heard Newt's shaky voice sigh. "I really like you...I really do...Can't you give me a chance?"

Jay was shocked at the statement. Her best friend? he was like a brother to her! "Newt I'm sorry....But I don't think of you like that..."

Thomas decided that now was best to make his entrance. He walked into the shack and up next to Jay. "Hey, love. We're going to head out to the dead Griever. You coming?"

Jay nodded, glad that Thomas had broken the weird sense of awkwardness in the room. She walked out of the shack but managed to glance back at Newt.

Newt was crestfallen, looking at the floor as if he was just denied something important. He knew he couldn't compete with the Greenie. So he'd protect her.

He would give her up to see her happy.