Chapter Five

Thomas woke up from his deep slumber to someone poking his cheek. A familiar groan was heard. "Waaaake up Greeeeenie!"

Jay huffed as she poked his cheek. She smiled triumphantly as his eyes opened groggily and one of his hand reached up to take hers so she'd stop poking him.

They both froze for minute, looking into each others eyes until they blushed and let go as they looked away. It was as if they've felt this feeling before.

Did they know each other before coming to the Glade? "Um...er-.... Let's get going!"

After Thomas got up and both of them finished eating, they headed out to the crop field.

"Today we'll be working in the gardens. Newt'll be tagging along soon." Jay explained as he nodded. She introduced him to the head Keeper and they got to work.

Jay was plucking grapes off of the vines as Thomas dug holes for the seeds. "How exactly do you become a runner?" He asked curiously.

Newt laughed,"Trust me mate. You don't want to be a runner. You gotta have guts like Jay, Minho and the boys." Jay rolled her eyes and pushed Newt playfully. "Yeah but...What if I wanted to be one?" Thomas replied again.

The Keeper and Newt laughed again and Newt tossed him a bucket. "Just go get some fertilizer, Greenie." Thomas grumbled comebacks under his breath as he grabbed the bucket and shovel.

Jay watched him leave as she bit her lip. "You should go easy on him Newt. It's just his second day." Newt looked over at her as he leaned against a nearby tree.

He had a crush on her ever since she stood up to Gally on the first day he got here. But he never told her, fearing rejection.

"We have to toughen him up Jay. It's either us or the maze." Meanwhile, Thomas walked deep into the forest to get the fertilizer. "Go get some fertilizer." He mimicked Newt and scowled.

Seeing a weird cross, he walked over to it as he gagged a bit when seeing the bones. "Must be a grave..." He muttered as he went on his knees and started digging up the fertilizer.

Heavy panting emanated from behind him and he turns around, seeing Ben. "Oh hey man. You're Ben right?" There was something wrong. Ben's veins were black and he had the look of a crazed animal.

"You!" Ben roared as he leaped onto Thomas, both of them falling back on the forest floor. Ben managed to hit Thomas a couple of times until Thomas grabbed the skull on the grave and hit Ben.

Using the distraction, he pushed Ben off and started to run through the woods with Ben hot on his heels. "Help! Help! Somebody help me!"

Jay and Newt heard faint yelling, growing puzzled as it got louder and closer. They were shocked as they saw Ben and Thomas run into the Glade. Ben lunged onto Thomas and started punching him.

Jay dropped the basket and ran towards them, other Gladers doing the same. Alby helped pry Ben off, throwing him to some Gladers to hold.

Jay checked Thomas for injuries but he was fine. They both stood up and looked at Ben. "Lift his shirt." Jay demands, pursing her lips.

Ben lashed out towards her but Thomas pulled her back into his arms, her face heating up. Newt couldn't help but feel jealous until he convinced himself that Thomas was just protecting her. But it didn't really help.

The Gladers did as they were told and lifted Ben's shirt. Alby gulped as he saw a sting wound. "He's been stung. Put him in the pen." He clenched his jaw. The boys carried away a screaming Ben. "No! Jay! Alby! Please! Thomas is one of them!!"

Eventually, the rest of the boys left and Thomas slowly let go of Jay. "Thank you..." She looked up at him and bit her lip. "No problem..""You should get some sleep Thomas. You've had a very long day I presume." She smiled, Thomas smiling in return.

"See you tomorrow?" He asked with a grin. "Tomorrow." Jay replied.

"Tomorrow."

Thomas walked away towards his hammock, the smile not fading until he sunk into the world of sleep.

Watcha think!?!?!?! Team Jewt or Team Tay? Comment beeeloowww!!! Thank you so much for all the support! Love you all.

~Ella