Chapter Seven

The next morning, Thomas was woken up in the same way as always. Thomas sat up and stretched. "Hey there Jay." He greeted with a soft smile.

Jay smiled back and helped him up. "Hey Greenie. Let's get going. You're working with the builders today." Thomas nodded and they started walking across the Glade towards the builders.

His eyes wandered over to where Minho and Alby stood in front of the maze, getting ready to run in.

"I thought Alby wasn't a runner." He frowned in confusion and she looks over towards them. "He's not. They're going to check if Ben.....is still alive.."

Jay sighed and Thomas bit his lip. "But they'll be back before dusk when the maze doors close." She assured and faced straight ahead.

They were greeted by Gally and Newt as they made it to the builders. "Alright, Thomas go ahead and help the boys chop off the roots of the tree over there." Newt said, pointing to the tree.

"Jay, you come with me. We'll nail up some boards on the infirmary." The pair heads off towards the infirmary as another flower of jealousy blooms in Thomas.

Did he possibly like her? Did Newt like her!? At the thought, he mentally scowled as he watched them laugh and horse around on the way to the infirmary.

He shook his head and walked over to the tree he was supposed to help chop the roots off.

This was going to be a long day.

The rest of the day consisted of Thomas glancing at Jay when she wasn't looking. But little did he know that her green eyes were pinned on him as well.

After hours of hard work, the Gladers gathered around the maze doors, waiting for Alby and Minho's arrival. Jay, Thomas and Newt stood at the front as they all waited with high hopes.

Minutes later, Minho and Alby appeared in the distance. Something was certainly wrong. Minho was carrying Alby as the doors started to close.

Every one started to cheer them on even thought it was a high chance they wouldn't make it. Thomas gulped, the doors a few feet away from closing.

He didn't know if he was stupid or brave. Probably both. So as the Gladers hollered, he bolted towards the doors.

Every step a battle.

Hi guys! Might include some Jewt or Tay in the next chapter ;). Comment below for which! Whoever guesses correctly what Jay's reaction will be gets a shoutout in my next chapter!

~Ella