Chapter 8

Allium had to study the night skies through her telescopes every few days at midnight and learn the names of different stars and the movements of the planets. A few times a week she went out to the greenhouses behind the castle to study Herbology, with a cool little witch called Professor Sprout, where she learned how to take care of all the plants and fungi, and found out what they were used for. Easily the most boring class was History of Magic, which was the only one taught by a ghost. Professor Binns had been very old indeed when he had fallen asleep in front of the staff room fire and got up next morning to teach, leaving his body behind him. Binns droned on and on while Allium scribbled down names and dates, and got Emetic the Evil and Uric the Oddball mixed up.

Professor Flitwick, the Charms teacher, was a tiny little wizard who had to stand on a pile of books to see over his desk.

Professor McGonagall was again different. Allium learned that her siblings didn't lie about her they had been quite right to think she wasn't a teacher to cross. Strict and clever, she gave the class a talking-to the moment everyone sat down in her first class.

"Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts," she said. "Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned."

Then she changed her desk into a pig and back again. Allium was very impressed and couldn't wait to get started, but soon realized they weren't going to be changing the furniture into animals for a long time. After taking a lot of complicated notes, they were each given a match and started trying to turn it into a needle. By the end of the lesson, only Hermione Granger And Allium had made any difference to their matches; Professor McGonagall showed the class how it had gone all silver and pointy and gave Hermione and Allium a rare smile.

Surprisingly Allium had not really been looking forward to was Defense Against the Dark Arts, but Quirrell's lessons turned out to be a bit of a joke. His classroom smelled strongly of garlic, which everyone said was to ward off a vampire he'd met in Romania and was afraid would be coming back to get him one of these days. His turban, he told them, had been given to him by an African prince as a thank-you for getting rid of a troublesome zombie, but they weren't sure they believed this story. For one thing, when Seamus Finnigan asked eagerly to hear how Quirrell had fought off the zombie, Quirrell went pink and started talking about the weather; for another, they had noticed that a funny smell hung around the turban, and the Alliums brothers Fred and George insisted that it was stuffed full of garlic as well, so that Quirrell was protected wherever he went.

Allium was a high marking student due to not socializing much leading to her having a lot of time to read through her books.

Allium had finally decided to do something that she had been procrastinating for a bit, write to her older brothers. She isn't too worried about how true will react to her house due to both of them not exactly being perfect in this mothers eyes.

Allium sat at her desk in her dorm staring at the parchment wondering what she could say. She picked up her quill and started deciding to just be honest

Dear bill,
I have a feeling mother might of told you already but something happened when I was sorted. Please whatever you do don't be mad I have already gotten enough grief from mom and dad. The truth is I have been sorted into Slytherin. If you still want to consider me your sister then I'll tell you about how schools been. The Slytherin dorms are freezing and quite dark which is odd considering how I'm used to the burrow and all the stories about how warm the Gryffindor common room is. Classes haven't been hard you were right about most of the teachers though Snape has been less horrid to me than Ron. If you want to hear more or if you still care write me back.

Love, Allium

By the end Allium had a few tears dripping down her cheek. Allium thought to write the letter to Charlie later since Bills hurt enough but ultimately choose that it was better to get it over with now.

Dear Charlie,
Mother may of already told you the news and I am not very worried that you will hate me for it. In case mum hasn't told you, I have been sorted into Slytherin. I'm not worried about if you'll disown me as your sister because you have disobeyed mother many times so I hope this is another thing we can laugh together about. If you do still consider me your sister then I will tell you about school once you write me back.

Love, Allium

She that she truly didn't have to worry about Charlie as much as everyone else due to his free spirit and ability to disobey mum. Allium decided to sleep and send the letters in the morning before classes.