Chapter 16

In years to come, Allium would never quite remember how she had managed to stay calm through her exams when she half expected Voldemort to show up. Yet the days crept by, and there could be no doubt that Fluffy was still alive and well behind the locked door.

It was sweltering hot, especially in the large classroom where they did their written papers. They had been given special, new quills for the exams, which had been bewitched with an Anticheating spell.

They had practical exams as well. Professor Flitwick called them one by one into his class to see if they could make a pineapple tapdance across a desk. Professor McGonagall watched them turn a mouse into a snuffbox -- points were given for how pretty the snuffbox was, but taken away if it had whiskers. Snape was certainly the worst endure especially as he breathed down your neck while you tried to remember how to make a Forgetfulness potion.

Allium had actually gotten a worried comment from one of her roommates. She was studying while her roommates were going to bed and wasn't there when they got up.

The very last exam was History of Magic. One hour of answering questions about batty old wizards who'd invented selfstirring cauldrons and they'd be free, free for a whole wonderful week until their exam results came out. When the ghost of Professor Binns told them to put down their quills and roll up their parchment, Allium couldn't help cheering with the rest.

"That was far easier than I thought it would be," said Hermione as they joined the crowds flocking out onto the sunny grounds. "I needn't have learned about the 1637 Werewolf Code of Conduct or the uprising of Elfric the Eager."

Allium though it was funny how Hermione liked to go through their exam papers afterward, after the four wandered down to the lake and flopped under a tree. Allium had hung quite a bit with the trio yet her and Ron still weren't the same plus Harry was wary of the Slytherin thing since he had hung out with Ron so much.

George, Fred and Lee Jordan were tickling the tentacles of a giant squid, which was basking in the warm shallows.

"No more studying," Ron sighed happily, stretching out on the grass. "You could look more cheerful, Harry, we've got a week before we find out how badly we've done, there's no need to worry yet."

Allium watched worriedly Harry was rubbing his forehead.

"I wish I knew what this means!" he burst out angrily. "My scar keeps hurting -- it's happened before, but never as often as this."

"Go to Madam Pomfrey," Hermione suggested.

"I'm not ill," said Harry. "I think it's a warning... it means danger's coming..."

Allium had a sense that he was right, she never liked that scar.

"Harry, relax, Hermione's right, the Stone's safe as long as Dumbledore's around. Anyway, we've never had any proof Snape found out how to get past Fluffy. He nearly had his leg ripped off once, he's not going to try it again in a hurry. And Neville will play Quidditch for England before Hagrid lets Dumbledore down." Allium did her best to reassure him even though she herself wasn't calm either.

When Harry tried to explain that he still had a bad feeling, Hermione said, "That's just the exams. I woke up last night and was halfway through my Transfiguration notes before I remembered we'd done that one."

Harry suddenly jumped to his feet. Surprising the other three that were still sitting.

"Where're you going?" said Ron sleepily.

"I've just thought of something," said Harry. He had turned white which made Allium jumped up, from that face, it looked serious. "We've got to go and see Hagrid, now."