삼십팔

Be honest.. did u have a heart attack when you got this notification?

The room was completely silent.

No one spoke a word as the devil stood over the burning figure, the sound of flames crackling and popping being the only sound in the room.

"Oh my.." The devil whispered, crouching down to get a better look at whatever had just crashed through the border between hell and earth. The smell of smoke and something similar to sulfur drifted through the air. "Jimin, you may want to come here for a second."

Jimin's eyes widened. Up until that point he had just been standing back waiting for the devil to give the word on what to do, but being called up there specifically had his stomach turning. Deep down he had a hunch, but getting excited over nothing had gotten him nowhere up until now, and so he tried to push down his inner hopes.

He slowly walked towards the devil. The flames had begun to go out by now, slowly uncovering what had been burning beneath them.

A body.

Jimin took three more steps closer.

Brown hair, tanned skin.

Time had slowed down. It felt like Jimin was running through quicksand as he sprinted towards the unbelievable scene in front of him. Tears were already pouring out of his eyes before he even realized he was crying.

Truly, he didn't think he deserved this gift.

He had made a mistake. He put on a front of acting selflessly but truly he was just scared that he and Jungkook truly didn't have a place in any world. He knew heaven wouldn't have accepted him. No matter how much Jungkook said he could have pleaded Jimin knew a former demon simply couldn't walk on the clouds. On the flip side though, he could have never asked Jungkook to give up his angel status, and so what else was there to do than leave?

Jimin stopped next to the body and dropped down to his knees.

It was him.

His face was smeared with ash, but his face still looked so soft to the touch. His skin was rosy, feathery eyelashes resting against his cheeks, His hair was singed at the edges, and still somehow it fell effortlessly against his forehead, soft and fluffy.

"Jungkook." Jimin cried, bringing one hand down the cup the younger boy's face. There was still a pinkish blush to his cheeks, and slow breaths left his parted lips. His eyes stayed closed, remnants of past tears still wet under his eyelashes. "Oh, Jungkook.."

What was there to even say? What words could even begin to explain himself if Jungkook could even hear him right now? 'I'm a coward'? 'It was just too difficult'? Neither of those things would begin to justify what he had done, in his mind.

Jungkook believed they were on the brink of happiness, and Jimin snatched it away without warning.

"He was banished." The devil spoke up, making Jimin snap out of the bubble he had isolated himself in. He had honestly completely forgotten that he and Jungkook weren't the only two people in the room. "First thing I noticed was that his wings were missing."

Wings?

Jimin gasped, turning Jungkook's shoulder gently to confirm that what the devil was saying was true. More tears streamed down his face once he found out, biting his lip and his eyes scanned across the skin. Once beautiful, soft wings with shimmering feathers, now replaced with burnt leathery skin where they used to be.

Jimin ran his index finger across the scar gently, the pain in his heart growing more and more evident as time went on.

Jungkook had been banished from heaven?