서른하나

--
"Well, I'm glad that you've both got your happy ending."

Jimin and Jungkook snapped out of their own reverie, gazes becoming focused on the devil once more. She looked much different than what Jimin remembered her to be. He recalled her having an overwhelming presence, an aura that was simply terrifying and menacing no matter how you looked at her.

But now, she looked small.

Her eyes were glossy, shoulders hunched with tangled hair falling in front of her face. The bottom of her luxurious robes were becoming tattered, her entire demeanour seeming defeated. "I tried so hard to keep you two apart, I used every single power I had to keep you away from each other. But your love. Your love was stronger than all of it? Why? Why wasn't I able to tear you apart?"

Jungkook's eyes saddened, and he looked down to meet Jimin's gaze. He knew that he shouldn't feel bad, Lucifer was his enemy on all terms, he shouldn't care.

But he did, and he blamed it on the good of his angelic heart.

He pressed a soft kiss to Jimin's forehead, allowing his wings to fold back.

"Lucifer." He addressed the devil, turning away from Jimin and walking towards her. "Why did you want to so badly?" The devil's bottom lip quivered as she took in the entirety of Jungkook's ethereal appearance. He looked so absolutely wonderful, and she missed it. Everything that he had was everything that she missed having. "I know it's not because you wanted to keep Jimin and I safe as demons, because you could easily replicate us if you needed."

His halo backlit his feathery hair, Jimin watching him fondly from behind as he continued to walk closer to the devil. "You put a whole lot of unneeded time and effort into us."

"I wanted Him to give me a second chance." The devil didn't flinch as Jungkook rested his hand of her shoulder, attempting to ignore the slight burn that accompanied his angelic touch. "Maybe if he saw how horrible his humans truly were, he'd realize that I was right, and he was wrong to cast me out of heaven. I wanted my old life back, because I missed it, and I still do."

She reached up, stroking the soft feathers of Jungkook's wings gently. She gulped, looking as if she was trying to bite back tears.

"You didn't answer my question." Jungkook spoke softly, brushing a few strands of hair out of his eyes. "Why are you avoiding it?"

"I was..." The devil looked down to the floor, choosing to focus her gaze. "I was jealous, of you two. The one time I fell in love it was shot down rather harshly, and I couldn't stand to see you two be so absolutely smitten with each other. I wanted you to hurt, just as I did."

"But it didn't work, did it?" Jungkook asked gently, the devil shaking her head in response. "Lucifer, I can't stay down here, and neither can Jimin. I can't mend your broken heart, and I can't give you your old life back, though I wish I could."

The devil looked up, her watery gaze meeting Jungkook's. She watched curiously as he removed one of the sparkling golden rings from off of his fingers. He took the devil's hand, placing it in her palm. "It was crafted by God Himself. Keep it. This is the most of your previous life that I could ever give you."

The devil nodded, closing her fingers around the accessory. It stung her skin, but she refused to let go.

"You're so good, Jungkook." She laughed softly. "Finally, He succeeded in creating something that was truly good. All of the other angels up there are prejudiced against those who they don't deem to be 'good'." She slipped the ring into her finger, ignoring how it began to burn her. "But you get it. Never, has there ever been a more perfect angel than you. Everything that you've achieved, although I may be envious, you deserve it."