스물여섯

--
"It's over now, Jimin."

Jimin could hardly even focus on what the devil was saying to him, wide eyes observing the ripples that Jungkook's body had created in the water.

Jungkook was going to be too weak. He was hardly even able to keep himself standing, there was no possible way that he was going to be able to swim to the surface. Not with the immense pain that would be closing in on him at every angle.

Jimin remembered having difficulties swimming to the surface when while not injured - Jungkook wasn't going to stand a chance.

Jimin didn't have another thought before he kicked off his shoes, jumping up and diving straight into the river after Jungkook. He heard the devil say something, but couldn't make out exactly what before his hearing was distorted by the water.

His assumptions were correct, the water didn't hurt him this time, but he was running on limited time and air. When he opened his eyes, the space around him was so incredibly dark; seeing his own hand a few feet in front of his face was proving to be a struggle.

He was scared, terrified, that he wasn't going to be able to find Jungkook in time. If he was running out of air, that meant that Jungkook was too.

Jimin braced himself before swimming deeper, the intimidating darkness seeming to suffocate him. He just kept diving deeper, not caring about how he would get back to the surface. His chest felt tight, his lungs already begging for him to breathe in again. He didn't care, losing Jungkook wasn't an option.

His lungs burned, head feeling light as he only dived deeper, the bottom of the river seeming to be nonexistent.

He couldn't see Jungkook anywhere. It was too dark, he couldn't see anything. He knew that Jungkook was probably in the worst pain that could possibly be felt, heart squeezing at the idea of him being subjected to such torture.

But he did something, something that he absolutely hated himself for doing. Something that made him want to let himself just frown instead.

He swam upwards.

He squeezed his eyes shut, one of his hands covering his mouth as he swam in the direction that he assumed to be up. His lungs felt as if they were going to burst. Jungkook was still down there, probably laying right on the bottom of the river, agonizing pain clawing at him everywhere.

Still he continued to swim up, his heart and mind yelling at him to turn around. Screaming to him that the love of his life was still down there, dying. He was probably begging with his entire mind for Jimin to come and save him.

Jimin's head broke through the surface of the water, heart feeling so much heavier than it had when he first dove in. He climbed up into the tile floor, clawing at his own hair as he completely collapsed into a fit of sobs.

"You left him?" The devil's words only broke him more, hating that he knew she was right. "I expected you to either return with him or not return at all. With the fight you were putting up, it's a shock that you'd just leave him down there to die."

Jimin could hardly breath in between his sobs, entire body shivering as the water droplets still continued to drip off of his soaked body. "Left him for dead just like you did with Hoseok. What about this river causes you to be so scared for yourself, that you're okay with causing the ones you love pain?"

"I don't know." Jimin cried, fingernails digging into his palms as he curled himself up on the floor. "Just fucking kill me."

The devil's eyebrows shot up at Jimin's words, shocked at what he just heard leave his lips. Jimin looked up, eyes red from crying and bottom lip still quivering. "If you don't do it, I'm going to do it myself." He rasped out, tears dripping off of his chin. "There's no possible way I can live with the knowledge that I left Jungkook - the one who gave up his soul for me to live - at the bottom of the river to die."

He met the devil's gaze, expression sorrow stricken as they stared into each other's eyes. "I don't care how you do it. You can make it as painful as you want to match what Jungkook had to go through." He sniffled. "Just end this all. That's what you want isn't it? For us to just be gone? For the two biggest nuisances of your life to disappear?"

His eyes were pleading, hands reaching forwards to grip as the bottom of the devil's robes. "Just let us go." He choked on another sob, bringing his forehead down to rest against the tiles. "Please."

It got eerily silent, just the quiet rush of the river filling up the spaces that words didn't. "What are you waiting for?" Jimin asked, voice suddenly a lot more irritated. "What's stopping you, Lucifer?"

Jimin watched as the devil visibly flinched at the name he called her by, taking a few steps backwards and staring at him with an absolutely scandalized expression.

"Do not call me that." She hissed, raising a finger to point towards Jimin. "You have no right to call me by that name."

"What?" Jimin stood up, eyes narrowing at the devil. "Do you want me to call you master? You never were my 'master', couldn't be, considering that I didn't give two shits about what you wanted me to do."

The devil glared at him, clenching both of her fists by her sides.

"And you wondered why I did all of this to you." She spat. "The absolute disrespect from the beginning? Attempting to leave all of this behind for some human?" She scoffed. "No. I thought you would have known that's not how it works down here."

"You can't expect your creations to treat you well if you treat them like shit!" Jimin exclaimed. "You're too power hungry! Always have been, and you know you have, considering that's the reason you got kicked out of heaven."

The devil gasped, backing away from Jimin even more. "The all powerful devil is just a broken, fallen angel that's takes out her resentment on everyone else."

"You'll stop talking if you know what's good for you, Jimin." The devil spat, her voice trembling slightly.

"I don't want what's good for me!" Jimin exclaimed. "Don't you get it? I've had enough!"

Jimin wasn't sure what the devil's next actions were going to be, both her facial expression and body language absolutely unreadable.

And he didn't get to find out, because both of their thought processes were cut off by a noise.

The noise of something splashing within the water.

--