Chapter 37

The trip was a blur to Sonia. All she remembered was green fields and hills rolling by before sleep consumed her. It was Emm who gently shook her, informing her that they were about to reach.

As Sonia stretched, yawning, her mouth stayed open. Maybe it's the sleep, a voice in her head suggested. But she knew all her sleep had long vanished. For how can she be not dazzled by the sight through the windshield?

The car drove over the cobbled path and neared the gigantic gate. Sonia leaned forward in her seat as the gates were opened.

"Holy goodness," she whispered in awe as finally the castle came fully into view.

Emm chuckled as he slowly drove over the path leading to the majestic stone castle. Green plots of land adorned with colourful flowers stood on both side of the path.

The car circled a white marbled fountain and came to a stop right before the entrance. Sonia fumbled with her seat belt before bursting out of the car; and stood there, mouth agape, gawking at the huge mansion as the boys hustled behind her, unloading the bags from the car.

The mighty stone castle stood against the grey sky. Sonia tilted her head back, squinting her eyes to look at the top. The faded rose coloured stone of the castle had a black roof, making it look like a clear outline between the structure and the sky.

Dozens of window glasses shone like diamonds as a cloud parted allowing sunlight to fall over the castle.

"Beautiful, ain't it?" Dim asked, swinging an arm around her shoulders.

"Yes," Sonia whispered.

"Let's go in. We'll go exploring later," he urged her forward through a tunnel like passage and to the door.

Dim rang the bell as Sonia stood there taking in the artwork on the wooden double doors.

A moment or two later, without any creak as Sonia had expected, the door was pulled open by a smiling Aunt Katherine.

"Right on time," she beamed.

Sonia smiled as she was pulled in for a warm hug.

"The guys got your luggage?" Katherine asked pulling away.

Sonia nodded and Katherine turned aside to greet the boys. Dim jerked his head to Sonia's left and she walked through the foyer and entered a huge room. It was this exact moment that Sonia felt her jaw drop to the floor.

The interior of the large room was laid out like a living room. Three big cream coloured couches sat in a U shape, surrounding an elegant coffee table. Colourful rugs sat beneath the arrangement. Sonia sighed in relief as the warmth of the room engulfed her. At the far end of the space were stairs, curving slightly as one climbed up the length. Sonia eyed the polished banister longingly. Fresh colourful flowers in vases decorated side tables all throughout the room.

"Everyone's in the library," Katherine said as she gestured Sonia to walk with her.

They passed through the room and walked through a passageway at the far left of the room. They turned left again and finally entered the library. However, this time Sonia was ready for the amazing sight of a library. Or rather it was what she thought.

All her readiness evaporated the second she laid eyes on the inside of the room. Since she had first watched Beauty and the Beast, it was her desire, a foremost wish to be able to spend a bit of time in such a room.

The room, or the sprawled heaven before her eyes, was a living version of the animated movie. Towering shelves packed with books dominated all the walls. A huge window at the opposite wall of the room let natural light illuminate the room. Sonia's eyes twinkled as she took in the comfortable window seat adorned with tons of cushions. She longed to run over and claim her spot.

Just like first time, it took every fibre in her self to tear her eyes away from her love and look at the people in the room.

All the three brothers and their wives sat on the beautiful couches in the middle of the room. Two big couches and a love chair provided enough space for a few people to easily read or just relax. The smell of baked goods hit her nose, and she smiled a bit at the homey scent.

"Hello," she called out meekly and all the heads turned to her. A wave of nostalgia hit her as her first meeting with the Richards Clan came up in her mind.

Just then Ian came up besides her and slung an arm over her shoulders, "Hey guys," he called out in his usual manner.

A long way since the first time, Sonia thought, the others filing in behind them.

“Hey Maa," Jake called out rushing ahead.

The lady sitting on a couch just had the time to open her arms before Jake kneeled down in front of her. She hugged him to her bosom, kissing his hair as he held on to her.

"That's our grandma," Ian whispered to Sonia and urged her ahead.

As Jake moved away from the lady, grinning hugely, the others took their turn to greet her just like him, while Sonia stood apart.

Dim was the last to greet her. As he took his seat on the floor - as usual - the lady looked up at Sonia.

"Come honey," she smiled, holding her arms open in invitation.

Sonia walked the few steps and kneeled before her, much like the boys.

"Not there," she pulled her on the couch besides her, "Girls should not kneel, my love," she said before engulfing Sonia in a warm hug.

Pulling away, she cupped Sonia's cheek and kissed her head just like she had her grandkids'. Sonia jerked at the gesture. The woman noticed this but didn't let it show on her face.

"I'm Aisling. As Ian said, you children's grandma."

"Grandma!" Sonia whispered, taking in her ginger hair with a few stray strands of white in between. Her face radiated love and Sonia felt herself relax. Aisling smiled, her green eyes sparkling with happiness, "Or you can call me Maa, just like others."

Sonia blinked, trying to get rid of the tears hindering her sight.

"Maa," she smiled wobbly.

Aisling cupped her cheek in her soft hand, "Worth the wait."

"And I am to just wait here till you notice my absence?" Sonia turned in the direction of the voice.

"Pappa!" Emm shouted as he got up from his seat and rushed to the doorway where a person stood just in the shadows. Sonia squinted her eyes but couldn't make out the features of the man.

Emm was engulfed in huge arms. As he pulled away, the man took a step ahead in the room and out of the shadows.

Sonia's breath hitched in her throat as he came into view.

Slowly, she stood up from her seat as the other guys rushed past her and towards him. Her eyes wide, she stared at him, all the while the man took turns hugging each of the boys.

Ian was the last. As he hugged him, he ruffled Ian's hair lovingly before pulling back.

"Papa, come meet Sonia," Ian said, turning to her.

It was that moment when his eyes met her's and Sonia felt all her limbs freezing.

The man walked towards her but all Sonia could do was stand there. No smile graced her features or warmed her wide eyes.

"And he's our grandpa," Ian introduced.

"Hello, love," he spoke warmly, "I'm Conor. It's a pleasure meeting you."

Sonia watched dumbfounded as he politely took her hand and kissed her knuckles. He squeezed her hand lightly before letting go.

If she had thought that the Richards boys or her Uncles had amazing looks, it dimmed before the man that stood smiling at her.

Conor was tall. Almost an inch above Dim - who was the tallest so far. Grey strands peeked from within his brown hair. His blue eyes, just like Uncle Jamey's, sparkled with joy.

"How are you, Sir?" She asked finally.

Conor waved his hand, "Just Papa. You are no different than my kids," he placed his hand over her head in affection, "And I'm very much fine now that I've finally met you."

"I suggest you show Sonia her room. And y'all too get fresh, it must have been a tiring journey," Aisling spoke as she got up from her seat and walked to Sonia.

"I'm so happy to see you, my child," she whispered.

Sonia just smiled before Ian took her hand and began to walk out of the room, the others shuffling ahead.

***
Sonia climbed the steps, her eyes trying to take in everything at once. Upon reaching the second landing, they turned right and walked down the corridor past a few doors, one by one, the guys disappearing in each room. Sonia and Jake reached the last door and Jake twisted the knob, opening the door.

"This one is your's. Ian, Gage and I are on this very floor and Dim and Emm and our parents are on the first floor," he talked but Sonia was not paying any attention to him, for she was mesmerised by the scene through the window as she slowly walked towards it.

Sonia turned the latch and opened the window, a cool breeze hitting her face.

The window was to the backside of the castle. It stood on a height, a little mountain, and below it, all Sonia could see was greenery. A beautiful garden, more elegant than Caroline’s, stretched out till white fence created a border to it. After that, there was a clear way to the woods.

Jake came besides her, "Maa always used to say that she was keeping this room for her granddaughter," he turned to look at a silent Sonia, "And now, she finally gave it to her granddaughter."

Sonia shook her head, "I don't understand why you people love me so much when my own people started hating me even before I was born."

Jake put his arm around her and pulled her close to him. Sonia rested her head on his shoulder as he rubbed her arm.

"Sometimes the soul just connects with some people. And your soul pulls us in. I wish I could put it in words, but it's just that, we cannot stay away from you."

Sonia's eyebrows knitted in confusion, "What do you mean by that?"

Jake sighed, "You'll understand when you're ready to. Just stay prepared."

Sonia got more confused at his answer but her stomach growled at the moment making Jake chuckle.

"Freshen up. Then we will head down to eat," he said and kissing her on her temple, walked out of the room, shutting the door lightly after her.

Sonia sighed as she once again looked at the scene, "Hope to be ready for whatever it is to come," she whispered and turned away to do her deeds.