Chapter 26

The dark figure leapt at her, making her fall back. Her back hit the hard floor, breath leaving her in a whoosh. But the adrenaline had already kicked in. The weight of the black beast was keeping her pinned down and she was sure it will open its big jaws and tear her apart any moment. She writhed and kicked, anything to keep its paws away. It was not helping.

The beast was strong. And heavy. And she was going to be it’s meal.

I don't even get to celebrate Ian's birthday, a voice in her head whispered, frightened.

That was it. She took a deep gulp of air and opened her mouth to let out a scream.

Just as quickly, it was clamped shut by a hand.

Wait.

Wolves have paws. Not hands.

"Shh."

Wolves don't shush their prey!

Confused, she opened her eyes, expecting to see a snout, big sharp ugly yellow teeth, crazy eyes and black fur covered face.

Instead, she was greeted with a sharp jaw, cheeks covered in a light stubble, even, white teeth and beautiful blue eyes. She frowned as she tried to make out in her frazzled mind who this person was.

"I'm going to move my hand away. Just don't shout, aye?"

The moment he moved his hand away, she yelled, "Ian, you so-"

Instantly, he clamped her mouth shut again, "Jeez. For God's sake. I told you not to shout idiot," he hissed and looked around as if expecting someone. He looked back down at her, "Are you okay?"

She made some incoherent noise beneath his hand, her eyes shooting fire at him.

"What?" Ian asked, still not moving his hand.

She jerked her head sideways, trying to move off his hand. She was trapped. One of her hands was between them and he had the other pinned beside her head with his free hand.

She jerked her head again and getting her meaning, he slowly took his hand off her mouth, "Alright?" He asked, slowly.

"Get off me!" She gritted out.

Ian frowned at what she was saying, then realized that he was still on top of her. Quickly, he rolled away and shuffled a few inches away.

Sonia got up from her position and shifted to rest her back against the porch rail, her breathing a bit ragged.

"Hey, I'm sorry," Ian said in a soft voice. Sonia's eyes flashed to him and he gulped, "Err, it was actually kinda your fault."

"My fault?" She whisper asked in disbelief.

"Yes. Your fault," Ian's voice too took a turn for the angry tone, "I was just going to boo you," he made the gesture with his hands, "but I slipped over that wet mud over there and you started screaming and kicking."

"How was it my fault?" She asked, barely controlling the urge to throttle him.
Ian merely shrugged his shoulders, "Because it was."

"You are well aware that I want to kill you as in right now, aren't you?" She asked, her eyes burning with fury, her fists clenched tight.

Ian looked at her and cocked his head, "Yes," he said before his lips broke into a huge grin, "But you won’t. For whose' sugar will you be then?"

In an instant, she was at him. She had well intended to break that nasty grin off or to ruin that devilishly handsome face of his, but he was too quick.

He rolled over and once again, she was pressed beneath him. This time, he had both her wrists pinned to either side of her head.

She struggled to free herself, all the more agitated when the moron started laughing.

"Set me free at once," she demanded.

"So that you can punch me?" Ian mocked her, "No way, kitten. I am way too fine like this."

Sonia wriggled beneath him, "I will break your pretty face if you do not release me right this instant."

If anything, his grip on her wrists tightened even more and his eyes glinted with amusement, "Oh! The beautiful words your tongue speaks. I simply love you for that."

She struggled more and he heaved a sigh, "Look love, I will release you. But on a condition."

"What?" She spat.

"You won’t hurt me in any way. No punches, no slaps and no damaging kicks," he added as her leg twitched beneath him.

She narrowed her eyes and nodded once.

Ian smiled, "Lovely," he leaned down and kissed her nose, "See. You are not so bad!"

But before she could react to that, he was up and off her in a jiffy. He extended his hand to her but she slapped it away and got up on her own.

"Goodnight, sweetheart," he called out after her as she entered the kitchen, chuckling when she increased her pace and hurried off.

Ian turned and leaned against the porch rail as he took a deep breath. He suddenly realised that he loved to rile her up. The fire in her honey eyes was much preferable to him than the easy laughs. He smiled as a thought occurred to him.

None of his brothers were able to light that fire in her eyes like him.

Elated at the thought, he turned to go inside. Let the others have all the smiles and laughter, but the real fire belonged to him and him alone.

***
There was nothing better than opening your eyes to fresh rays through the window, and not feeling irritated that it was morning already. Sonia got up feeling really fresh. Taking a moment to stretch her limbs, she rolled over and hugged her pillow. She was in good spirits and moreover it was Saturday.

She sighed happily as she got up and padded to her closet. Dim would take her to learn riding the bike today and if everything turned out to be as expected, she would be driving it without any help soon enough. Sonia smiled again, collecting her things and started for the bathroom. She was about to open the door to the washroom when it was jerked open, making her yelp and jump a step back.

Instantly, her mood turned bitter. Ian stood in the doorway, steam billowing from behind him, his hair wet, a towel wrapped low around his hips. Her eyes widened as she felt her face burn. She turned around quickly, closing her eyes. She had never seen a guy half naked. The movies were entirely different than a live sample, weren't they?

"Good morning, sunshine," Ian chirped from behind her.

Sonia gritted her teeth in annoyance, "Will you please move away?"

"Won't you even greet a gentleman good morning?" He asked.

Sonia scoffed, "More like a wild animal," she muttered.

"Ahh. You hurt my sentiments, lady," he whispered in a mocking tone.

Sonia turned back to him. His face contorted as if in pain and his hand rested on the left side of his chest.

"Why do you intend to break my love filled heart so early in the morning?"

Sonia narrowed her eyes, "What put you in such a mood this early in the morning?"

Ian smiled at that, "Nothing," he shrugged a shoulder and Sonia had to force her eyes to stay glued to his face.

She quirked a brow, "Really?"

At that, he let out a heavy sigh and moved aside, motioning her to the door to the bathroom. Sonia gave him a sceptical look but went ahead.

She was about to close the door, when he stopped her, "And yes love. Dim happened to mention last night that he has to tag along somewhere with Dad today, so he gave me the honour to go with you for bike riding."

"What?" She asked bewildered. No way.

"Aye. Gage is on errands. Emm is in office, Jake cannot be trusted with such a big responsibility. And because Dim didn't want to postpone it as you were, or apparently are too excited for it, you are to come with me," he explained, "Have a good day ma'am," he bowed and walked off.

Good day, Sonia thought as she shut the door and stripped off, her moments robotic, if anything, it is going to be the hardest and most probably the worst day of my life.

***
The moment had arrived. Sonia gulped as she got off the bike to let Ian slide to the back seat. Once in place, he motioned her to take the seat. She did as told and placed her hands on the handle. Her hands felt clammy as she remembered all too clearly, how she had fallen and dreaded it would happen again. She waited patiently, taking deep breaths, for Ian to give her the signal to start.

Instead, her breath hitched as his arms came around her and he took hold of the handle, placing his hands right beside her. Half of his hands were covering hers.

Sonia frowned. Dim had done no such thing. He had stood by as Sonia had gotten used to the feeling of the weight of the vehicle, explaining to her what was what. And while riding, he had sat back, encouraging her, helping with the speed and break just when needed. It seemed Ian had a different way of teaching. She took in a deep breath, bracing herself as she slowly let go of the clutch and turned her wrist to urge the bike ahead.

"What now? The speed was constant," Sonia huffed as she turned her head to look at Ian. She was wrong, when she had thought it was going to be a good day.

Ian was simply too obstinate to let her drive for more than a few yards. Just as she would start getting in tune with the balance, he would make her stop. Sometimes, making her take a turn abruptly. This was maybe the 47th time or so and she was irritated by his games.

"You are not even allowing me to ride till the end of the road," she complained, pushing his arms away from her. It was too restricting being unable to do anything for his arms to encircle her all the time.

Ian sighed as he ran a hand through his hair, "You need to be able to balance when the speed is fast and there is a need for urgent break. Or else you'll fall every time."

Sonia narrowed her eyes, "For that I will first need to get to the speed factor. Right now we are practising the snail's pace."

Ian shook his head, "You have to take in everything in one go. You can't learn how to break and how to take a turn differently. It has to be in flow. You have to train your mind such that it can handle such little details without extra monitoring."

Sonia let out another huff and turned to look forward, "Okay, just this last time. Then I need a break."

"Alright," Ian sighed and leaned in to take in his previous position.

Instantly, Sonia elbowed him.

"Ouch," he hissed, "What was that for?"

Sonia shrugged, "I need to do this myself."

Ian grumbled a "Stupid girl," making her smile as she started again slowly.

Midway, the bike started veering for the edge of the road. She steered it away but all too soon, it was going in the same direction. Sonia gulped as the scene of falling flashed in her head.

"Ian," she whispered and in a beat his hands were on the handle, bringing the bike back on track.

"You need more practice before going all on your own, love," he stated, his voice low.

Sonia's eyes widened, his face was directly beside hers.

"By the way, what were you doing out on the porch last night?" He asked, loosening his hold over the clutch, but still keeping his hands over the handle.

"Why? Where were you last night?" She retorted.

Ian grinned, "Spending time in some pleasant company," he answered making Sonia stiffen.

"Jealous?" he asked, the laugh evident in his voice.

"In your dreams," she answered, rolling her eyes. She made the turn and was back to riding the straight path.

"So? What about you?" Ian probed, impressed by her turn.

"Just waiting out for someone," she replied.

His arms tightened around her as she felt him stiffen, "Jealous?"

"More than you think," he whispered, right in her ear and she stopped the bike abruptly.

She pushed him back and quickly got off the vehicle, leaving him to balance it with one hand.

"Are you crazy?" He asked, shocked at her behaviour.

"No," she folded her arms over her chest, "I'm hungry," she stated.

Ian sighed and threw up his hands in exasperation.

Sonia tried to ignore him as she looked around at the surroundings.

She was here before, with Dim, but today the place looked different.

Maybe because it's sunny today, she thought, as she gazed over the wind house and the fields, painting a serene view before her.
Ian followed her line of vision and noticed her longing to explore the place, "Maybe someday we can come here for a picnic," he suggested, looking at her from the corner of his eyes for her reaction.

Her eyes widened as excitement took place on her face, "Really?" She asked, taking a step near him.

Ian shrugged, "Maybe."

She grinned and looked back to the green fields. Ian smiled at her happiness.

"Let's get going. We need to get back home on time."

Confused, Sonia looked at him, "Why? Are you going somewhere?"

"We are going somewhere," he corrected and revved the engine. He jerked his head, motioning her to get on the bike.

She obliged, "But where are we going?"

"You forgot?" He asked. When she didn't reply, he sighed, before continuing, "To the club, sugar. We postponed it, remember?"

And just like that, he flicked his wrist and took the bike flying down the road.

                               *****
Thankyou for still being here people. Next chapter will be up in a few days.

  Keep voting, commenting and sharing:)

HER QUEST-Magic In The Bloodजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें