Chapter 22

Sonia skipped into the kitchen to prepare breakfast. To her surprise, the meal was already prepared. She pouted as she noticed the food arranged on the counter. She loved cooking and breakfast was the only meal she could make in complete isolation.

  She was pouring her coffee when Ian and James entered the kitchen. They had just settled down to eat when Caroline rushed in through the back door.

"James, come with me," she grabbed his hand and they both hurried out again.

Aghast at this, Sonia looked at Ian. He was busy eating or rather gobbling his breakfast.

  "What was that?" Sonia asked.

  Ian waved his hand, "Ah, nothing. Mom gets hyper if anything happens to her plants."

  "Oh," she replied and they were back to their eating. After a while, James and Caroline returned and took their seats.

"Did any of you see someone in the backyard?" James asked.

Ian grunted a No and Sonia frowned.

"What happened?" She asked but continued before she could get an answer, "I was there yesterday," she tilted her head as James and Caroline exchanged glances, "Umm, I sort of looked around and there was this dead bush on the edge, so-"

"Did you touch it?" Caroline asked.

Sonia looked around, "Yes, I - I watered it and added some fertilizers."

"Did you wear gloves?" She asked again.

  Sonia frowned, thinking, "No."

  Caroline sighed, "Tell me everything."

  Sonia gulped, not understanding but still nervous of the interrogation, she explained the whole episode.

"I am sorry. I should have asked your permission. I just wanted to have a good look at those flowers from the very first day," Sonia felt guilty. She must have killed another plant and surely Aunt Carol was upset by her.

Ian looked at her. She was looking at her plate, her face without her usual smile. He hated to see her like this. Frustrated, he turned to his mother, "What's the matter?"

"Nothing. I was just curious," Caroline replied.

Ian opened his mouth to protest on such an intense confusion, but was cut off as his phone rang.

"Come on, Sonia, let's go. We'll be late," he said and got up from his seat.

Sonia got up to follow him out when Caroline called out, "You saved the plant girl. Cheer up."

Sonia was not able to grasp it as her phone took that opportunity to ring. She got it out of her pocket just as Ian pulled her along and they rushed out.

"Where are you?" Jake almost yelled through the phone.

"Ouch," Sonia winced and rubbed her ear trying to put the phone on her right ear, Ian having a firm grip on her right hand, "Five minutes, Jake," she managed to cut off and jogged so that she was not dragged.

To her surprise, Ian did not lead her out but towards the garage. He picked her helmet and threw it at her. She hardly managed to catch it and avoid bashing her face. Maddened by it, she marched over to him straddling her bike. But before she could say anything, he quickly cut her off.

  "Hop on love. We'll be late."

Taking a deep breath, Sonia put on her helmet and got on the bike. But unlike the last time they had a ride together, she gripped the backseat instead of Ian.

Ian noticed this as he drove out of the garage and towards their destination. But he made no attempt to make her hold him despite the urge to just break hard.

They reached Dim's place in no time, and found them all waiting patiently. Ian smirked knowing they would never utter a word if he was late because of Sonia.

***
By the time they reached college, Sonia had almost forgotten about the incident back home. She was too busy talking with Jake to notice Ian studying her all the while.

"- and then there is Prof. Hughes. Only God knows how we all bear him," Jake continued as they got out of the jeep. Sonia laughed at his dramatic sigh and he flashed his dimpled smile.

Feeling the hair on the back of her neck rise, Sonia looked around. Her gaze fell on Eric who stood amongst his group. There were two more guys other than the ones in her Eco class and a girl. They all were busy in their own things while Eric was staring straight at her. Even at a distance, Sonia could feel the intensity of his gaze, making her even more cowed of him.

  He cocked his head as in greeting and Sonia let out a gasp, trying to break eye contact with him.

A growl from behind startled her and she turned around to face Jake, her brows knitted in question, "Did you just grow -"

She was cut off when he spoke in a low voice, "If I were you, I would listen to him," he jerked his head in the direction of their jeep.

Sonia turned her head to look there and found Ian engrossed in his phone while leaning back on the car's bonnet.

"And also, I would stay far away from that jerk," Ian continued in the same tone.

Sonia looked at him and gulped. Now she was really spooked. Jake's voice held a dangerous glint she had never heard before. He was staring over her head, right where Eric stood. She didn't need to turn and check. Instead she searched for something that would help her.

Spotting it, she sent a prayer of thanks and grabbed Jake's hand. His eyes shot to her and she struggled to keep the smile in place.

"Let's go to the library. I haven't checked it out yet."

Jake looked at her for a second then nodded. Sighing in relief, she quickly pulled him towards the building.

By the time lectures had begun, Sonia had nearly exhausted herself trying to keep a hold on to Jake's attention. He was still fuming, glaring at anyone who would do much as look in their direction. When the bell had rung, she was more than happy to attend the classes. During break, she switched tactics and pulled Jess with her to their table.

As she had expected, all of them were geared up to yell at her but Jess's presence saved her. Although she had to bear all the angry glares while Jess chattered happily the whole time.

  She shared the next class with Ian and had to walk down the corridor to the class with him. Sonia braced herself for the outburst which she was sure was due any moment now. However, the whole hour passed by without the arrival of that moment.

Sighing in relief, Sonia got out of the class happily when Ian grabbed her by her arm and pulled her in a corner, urging her back towards the wall. The other students walked past them, completely unbothered. She looked at him , her eyes wide with fear and shock at the sudden onslaught. He was close, much too close but still he was not touching her in anyway, apart from the steely grip he had on her arm.

Sonia looked in his eyes and gulped. There was a fire brewing in those cool blue pools of his'. He opened his mouth and she averted her eyes, bracing for the outburst.

  "What class do you have next?" He asked.

  Frowning, she looked up at him again, "Wh - What?" She stuttered.

  He took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a moment, "What Class Do You Have Next?" He asked spacing out each word.

  "Economics," she mumbled, still dumbfounded.

Ian nodded his head, "Okay. Just stay away from Eric."

"But, why?" Sonia asked. She had enough. What was up with these guys, "What for?" She enquired.

Ian pinched his nose with his thumb and forefinger, "Just stay away. He's not good."

"And that explains everything?" She snapped. Ian opened his mouth but she cut in, "But I am sorry, I can't."

"Don't you dare," Ian growled, gripping both her arms.

They were close now. Their faces mere inches away. His eyes were spitting fire at her, but she didn't cover this time. Instead, she raised her chin and said slowly, "I can't ignore him Ian because he sits right next to me just like you do."

The moment the words were out, she hoped to take them in. His grip tightened and his eyes turned dark. She blinked as they turned black but was not able to concentrate on the colour of his eyes anymore. The grip on her injured arm had tightened to a point where it was nearly unbearable. She tried to get away but was flush right against the wall.

"Ian," she spoke through her teeth, "you are hurting me." Still his grip didn't loosen. Tears sprang in her eyes, "Ian," she cried out.

Instantly, he let go as if she had burnt him and a breathy sob escaped her lips.

"Hey, hey, I am sorry. I really didn't mean to hurt you," Ian said frantically trying to make her look at him, all traces of anger gone, "Sonia, please. I am so sorry."

Not knowing what else to do, he gathered her in his arms, "I am sorry. I was upset. Please try to understand, he is not good. We can't let him get near you."

She nodded, her face buried in his chest. He let out a relieved breath and pulled her closer, burying his face in her hair, "Sorry angel," he mumbled.

Ian took in the scent of her hair and was marvelling at it when she began pushing him. He smiled and gave a last squeeze before letting go.

"I should go. I will be late for class," she mumbled looking down at her feet, hiding her face from him. Ian however noticed the pink tint on her cheeks.

"Sure. But I will miss ya, sugar," he spoke in a hushed tone and her eyes shot up to him.

  Ian smiled. The tears were still clinging to her lashes but now, the honey was ablaze.

  "Do not call me that," she gritted out..  

Ian pouted, giving her an innocent look, "What should I not call you," he blinked before adding, "Sugar?"

"God! You are insufferable," she spat and pushed past him, leaving him laughing behind her.

Sonia hurried to her class and got to her seat. The professor was yet to come, she noted as she got out her books.

  And so is he, a voice spoke in her head.

No, she will not go against the boys and talk to him. If it was their wish that she stay away from Eric then she would.

  But why, the voice spoke again, what's the reason?

  Sonia thought back. All their reactions were the same whenever she was with Eric. So it was not some sheer problem. There was really a good solid reason or else they would have not been so adamant about it.

  I will have to find out what it is, she thought and nodded her head in determination. Finally she looked up and just like that, all her determination drained away.

  There he was, standing by their seat looking down at her. From her position, he looked all the more intimidating and Sonia wished she could just go and hide somewhere safe. Or in someone's arms.

  Her cheeks burnt at that thought and she quickly busied herself with her notes.

  Eric sat down beside her. She was all too aware of him as he continued looking at her. Finally, just as she was about to crack under the pressure, he spoke, his voice quiet and somehow alluring.

"You look beautiful when you blush."

It was just a statement. A mere compliment. She must have not let it affect her but by some means her cheeks burnt more. She looked at him and regretted it instantly.

  His dark eyes were regarding her as if she was a book he desperately wanted to memorise each and every word of. As if she was the one he needed.

  "Just thinking about me makes you glow?" He asked, leaning just a small inch towards her.

  "What makes you think so?" She queried, raising a brow.

Sonia herself was impressed by the solidity of her voice while inside she was a stuttering mess.

  In reply, he just smiled. A warm smile, as if he was pleased by her strength.

Sonia frowned at him and the prof. entered the class just then, starting to speak immediately upon arrival, drawing her attention away. She looked away, focusing all her energy in taking the notes rather than looking at Eric. So engrossed was she that the ringing of bell made her jolt in her seat.

Eric rose and threw a "See you soon," over his shoulder before sauntering away.

Sonia shook her head at his retreating back and began stuffing her books in her bag.

Her movements stopped when she noticed a piece of paper sticking halfway out through one of her notebooks. Slowly pulling it out, she frowned as she read the words. Her cheeks paled as she grasped the meaning of the words, her eyes going wide and her breathing becoming shallow.

TELL HIM TO KEEP HIS HANDS OFF YOU. THIS IS THE LAST TIME I AM LETTING HIM HURT YOU IN ANYWAY, EVER.

Desperately wanting to get out of the class, she shoved the books in and ran towards the door. She dashed out and stopped.

Ian stood there, "Hey," he waved on seeing her, smiling widely, "Mom called. She wants to meet you."

"M- me?" She stuttered, dreading what was to come next. Could this day get any more abominable?

  "Yes, she wants to talk about what happened earlier." He continued and all colour drained from Sonia's face.

No, the worst is yet to come, the voice in her head murmured and she could only agree. I must have damaged that plant and all those other surrounding it too, she thought, no wonder Aunt Carol will be depressed over it.

  "Come on now," Ian urged, not noticing her inner ramblings or her palor, "We need to go to her shop. The others will be leaving without us."

  At least that will buy me some time to gear up, she gulped, and taking a deep breath, followed him.

                              *****
Hey guys. Just need to thank you all for your support. We've come a long way. And hope to go together throughout the journey.

  Love ya.

Till we meet again:)

Keep voting, commenting and sharing.