Chapter 25

Ian opened the door and peeked in, "Hey," he called out.

Sonia was busy typing away on her laptop. He shuffled and moved in.

"Hey. What's up?" She jumped up, a shriek almost escaping her mouth as she looked up.

"Why do you always keep sneaking up on me?" She huffed out a breath, a hand on her chest as she tried to calm her racing heart down.

Ian grinned widely as he walked to her bed.

"So?" She wrinkled her nose at his grin, "What brought you here?"

One of his brows arched as he held up his hand holding a couple of notepads, "Lit. Assignment," he answered and saw her eyes widen.

"Oh my God," she shot up and scrambled out of her bed, "Don't tell me it's Thursday already," she grabbed her bag from the table.

"It won't matter in half an hour," he replied, shrugging as he watched her empty her bag one thing at a time, "I guess, you too forgot."

"No," finally she found the book she needed and looked up at him, "It just left my mind," she smiled, her eyes shining with mischief.

"Ready for some work?" She asked, patting the space next to her after dumping the contents of the bag back into it.

"You bet," Ian smirked and they got down to their work.

An hour later, Ian slapped the pen down on the book, making Sonia jump again.

"Done!" He exclaimed loudly and looked at her.

She wrinkled her nose at him and continued scribbling down in her book.

Ian snorted as he peered into her book, "So slow," he mocked.

"Just a second," she mumbled.

Ian nodded and got up. Stretching, he looked around and noticed her laptop. Grabbing it, he got comfortable on the bed, perching it on his stomach as he lay back against the headboard.

He had just typed in his search when Sonia shut off her book, "Done, too!" She turned towards him, "What was wrong with typing it up?" She massaged her fingers as she looked at him.

"Because then one would work and another would get it done by pressing a couple of buttons."

Her mouth opened in an "O".

Ian waved her near him. She crawled back to lie down beside him. They argued for a few minutes before settling on a movie.

"Pause it. I'll get some drinks." She said and hurried away. Coming back in a couple of minutes, she dumped the packet of chips and bottles of water and switched off the lights. They both settled down under the covers, getting comfortable to watch the movie

Sonia snorted all the while, commenting on the foolishness of the lovesick girl, while Ian berated the guy for choosing the other girl.

"No idiot. Don't kiss her. It's a trap!" He muttered, fully engrossed in the scene. The couple, despite his warnings, kissed and Ian felt his cheeks heating up. He looked at Sonia from the corner of his eye. Seeing no reaction, he turned his head and to his surprise, she was sound asleep.

Her head rested on his shoulder, as she lay completely snuggled up in the blankets. He shook his head and turned back towards the screen. He didn't get to watch for long as her head lolled and came to rest on his chest.

She mumbled something and shifted, burrowing in his side. Ian's lips curved up as he watched her serene face. Shutting off the machine, he placed it on the nightstand before tucking the covers higher over her and tried to move away from her when she rubbed her cheek against the soft material of his t-shirt.

Stiffening, he waited a while for her to fall back in her dreamland. A few moments passed and instead, his eyes began to droop.

Throwing caution to the window, he pulled the covers high over him and pressing a kiss on the top of her head fell asleep.

*** 
The air was chilly, making goose bumps appear on her skin. Sonia stretched her hand around, searching for her blanket. Her hand came in contact with a corner of it and she pulled it over her as she turned to her side.

And fell down face first on the ground. Groaning, she pulled herself up in a sitting position and rubbed her cheek.

"What's your problem?" She grumbled at the hard floor.

Taking a breath, she managed to stand up and with her eyes already closing, she got in the covers and pulled it right up to her nose.

Still uncomfortable, she turned to hate other side and felt something hinder her progress. "Stupid pillow," she mumbled as she pushed the thing aside.

It however, did not budge. Frustrated, she pushed with all her strength and the offending blunder fell down on the floor with a loud thud and groaned. Satisfied, she smiled and closed her eyes again.

Wait! Did the pillow just groan? The thought entered her mind and she scrambled over to the side of the bed and gaped as she looked down.

Ian lay on the floor. Sonia's brow furrowed in confusion. He groaned again and she screamed.

"Damn it. What's your problem?" He asked much in the same tone as her earlier.

"You are real?" She asked, her eyes wide.

"Were you dreaming 'bout me?" He asked.

"What are you doing here?" She shot back.

"Sleeping," he grumbled as he got up and rubbed his backside.

"In my room? In my bed?" She asked her voice rising.

Ian hissed at her shrill voice, "Shut up, woman! You're making my ears bleed."

Sonia's mouth snapped shut at that, making Ian's lips quirk up a bit. He shrugged as she continued to look at him questioningly, "I didn’t sneak up on you in the middle of the night. You fell asleep and a little while later, I too caught up with you."

Realisation hit her and her lips parted on a small "O". Then she frowned at him, her nose wrinkling in the process, "It was your fault. You insisted on watching that dumb movie." She pointed her index finger at him accusingly.

"I think we both agreed over that," he sneered.

Sonia humped and turned her face away.

"I should get back to my room now," Ian spoke, watching her.

She merely shrugged her shoulders. Getting off the bed, she walked to her closet.

"It’s too early. I'm gonna bag some more sleep," he added, eyeing the bathing robe in her hand, "What 'bout you?"

"I may as well get started with the breakfast," she replied as she turned back to him.

Ian's face broke into a grin, "Wake me up when you're done, sugar," he said and rushed out of the room as she threw a shoe at him.

***
Sonia started with a jerk as yet another time something, or rather someone poked her. She glared at a seemingly innocent Eric who kept looking down at his notes as if reading with utmost concentration. But she knew he was hiding that stupid grin of his.

"Try that one more time and I will poke you to death with that pencil," she hissed.

Eric looked up at her, his face the epitome of innocence, "You were dozing again."

Sonia felt her eyelids droop but glared at him nonetheless.
"Why don't you skip the next class?" He asked, his voice hushed.

Sonia shook her head, trying to shake off the sleep as well, "What's the damn use of it then?" She mumbled and tried to decipher what language the professor was speaking.

***
Sonia stifled yet another yawn as she looked at her watch for the nth time. She frowned at it. Had the damn thing stopped yet again? She peered down closely. No it is working.
Only three minutes had passed and it seemed like an eternity. She groaned lightly as she tried not to slump on the desk.

Ian looked at her from the corner of his eyes. She was already asleep. He pressed his lips in a thin line as he tried not to grin. Discreetly, he checked his watch. Just a few minutes left and he would make sure she got home early.

The bell rang, abruptly startling her sleep induced form. Her elbow slipped off the corner of the desk and her head jerked downward. But instead of hitting the hard edge, the fall was cushioned. Sighing, she pulled back to see a hand resting there. Looking up, her gaze met Ian's.

"Class' done," he smiled at her and started stuffing her books in her bag, "Let's go," he got up and held out his hand for her to take.

Sonia looked at his extended hand and then back at him. Slapping his hand away, she got up on her own, "I am perfectly capable of walking on my own," she grumbled.

Ian snorted from behind her as she ignored him and tried to walk steadily.

Ian let her stagger to the door, then losing his patience; he grabbed her by her arm and almost dragged her with him.

Reaching the car, he made sure she got in properly, then turned to Dim, "Stop by home."

***  
Sonia turned around on her other side as the comforting blanket of the sleep started retreating. Rubbing her cheek on the soft pillow she lazily opened her eyes.

There was just barely enough light for her to make out that she was in her own room. Sitting up, she rubbed her eyes. The last thing she remembered was Ian getting in the car beside her. She knew nothing of how she got to her bed.

Shrugging it off, she got off the bed and stretched, sighing softly. Glancing at the clock on her nightstand, she was surprised when the green digits showed it was way past evening. She had bagged a good solid hours of sleep. Her stomach agreed with her, growling in hunger and she smiled as she walked out of her room and down.

She entered the kitchen and found Caroline chopping vegetables.

"Let me help," she offered as she hurried towards the table.

Caroline looked up, her brows furrowed in confusion, "What? No way. Just sit down there girl," she pointed to the chair opposite her with her knife.

Sonia did as was told, "So what are you making?" She asked eyeing the vegetables on the cutting board.

"Just throwing together a salad. How are you feeling now?" She asked.

"Me?" Sonia asked, "What happened to me? I am absolutely fine."

Caroline smiled at her softly, "Oh. I saw Ian carrying you up, so I thought you were not feeling well," Sonia felt heat rushing to her face, "I asked him. But you know how he is. Merely grunted and walked out again," Caroline rolled her eyes, not noticing Sonia's reaction.

"He carried me?" Sonia asked, still hung up on it.

Caroline shrugged, "Yeah. What's wrong with that?" She looked up and frowned at her red face.

"Err. Nothing," Sonia answered, avoiding eye contact, "Umm. Aunt Carol. I'm actually hungry.”

The knife fell from Caroline's hand, clattering on the board, "Oh my God. Of course, you must be famished. How silly of me!" She got up and rushed to the counter, "I'll make you some tea."

She put the kettle on the stove and started hustling about making something.

A couple of minutes later, she placed a plate in front of her, "Here, have this  sandwich. Meanwhile, I'll make some more," She rushed back and got her a big cup of milk tea, just as Sonia preferred.

"Aunt Carol," Sonia called out as she was about to go back again, "This is good. I won't be needing anything else. Please sit."

"Are you sure?" She asked.

"Yeah. Let's just talk," she suggested.

Caroline's face broke into a huge grin, "Now that's what I was missing."
She got the jar of cookies and some crackers before coming over and sitting in her chair, "Do you know what happened today at the shop? Let me tell," she said with a sparkle in her eyes as she leaned forward and they began gossiping.

***
Sonia sat down on the porch steps and took a deep breath. A smile broke on her lips. It had become a habit of hers. Whenever she would get up in the middle of the night or when sleep eluded her, she would grab a mug of warm milk and spend some time on the back porch steps. Looking at the line of forest helped her calm down and left her with a feeling of serenity. She could just sit there and not bother about anything or anyone.

Except that wolf. Sonia glanced around again, trying to gauge if there was a black beast hiding in the bushes. The animal had not shown up again, though. However, she was vary and always turned the porch lights on. She even kept the kitchen door a bit open, in case she had to scramble inside.

She had changed. Sonia knew it. There was a difference in her old self and the new one. It was only a few weeks ago when she was afraid of the woods.

Initially, when she had arrived here, she used to love the sight of the dense trees and foliage. But only during daytime. She would hardly peep out of her window at night. Not to mention how the noises would creep her out.

But, somehow, now she longed to go wander in the same forest. She longed to hear the chattering of the birds, the wind rustling through leaves. Even now, the noise of the crickets was making her yearn for a little sprint through the dark woods.

The only thing holding her back was the wolf. What if there was a whole pack in there? Wolves lived in packs, didn't they? And she definitely didn't want to be meal for them. She wanted to spend her time with the Richards happily. Being a part of their family, celebrating festivals and birthdays.

As the thought of birthday entered her mind, she perked up. Just that evening, Aunt Carol had told her everyone's birthdates. And Ian's was fast approaching in a matter of months.

She was deep in her thoughts, trying to remember whose birthday was next when her phone pinged from beside her. Already knowing who it was, she smiled and opened the message.

Have to leave for a cousin's wedding early tomorrow. Forgot to pack. If you are awake, choose one from these stupid dresses.

Sonia’s grin widened as she looked at the pictures of the dresses Jiya had sent. Selecting a peach coloured full length dress, she sent it back to her,

This one. You're gonna rock it in this.

She hit the send button and after replying to Jiya's You saved me. text, she clicked open a shopping app and started going through it.

So engrossed was she between choosing two pair of shoes that she didn't notice the dark figure moving towards her. Slowly, and steadily, it continued on its path towards her.

Sonia felt something shift to her left. Fear gripped her heart and it started to beat faster. She gulped and turned around, her mouth opening, a scream on its way out just as the figure pounced on her.

                           *****
  Next chapter will also be up soon.
Keep voting, commenting and sharing people.

Till we meet again:)