Chapter 17

The next day, Sonia got up a bit early and decided to make breakfast. Clearly, Aunt Carol was not a morning person and well, both Ian and Uncle Jamey loved to eat. She thought as she smiled while she mixed the batter for pancakes. She loved to cook.

Uncle Jamey was the first to come in the kitchen sniffing funnily.

"What's cooking?" He asked then gave a hoot of excitement when he saw the pancakes sizzling, "There's my girl," he squeezed Sonia in an one hand hug, making her smile hugely at him, and poured himself a cup of coffee.

He went over and took a seat just as she picked up a few pancakes and placed the dish in front of him with his newspaper. James just rubbed his palms and then drenched the cakes with maple syrup. Taking a big bite, he exclaimed, "Wow! Now this is what I call breakfast. Girl, you are amazing. And your cooking is fan-yummy-tastic. Marry me, my love!" He said and stuffed another forkful in his mouth.

Sonia let out a quick laugh at that just as Aunt Carol entered, "Just whom do you think you are getting married Jameson? I am still alive here."

"Oh! Just eat this! Sonia made these," James pulled her down to the seat beside him and fed her a bite.

Her eyes went wide as she tasted it. She got up and took Sonia's hands in both of her's, "Why can't you be a guy? I would have happily left Jameson for you."

Sonia smiled, "No need to leave Uncle Jamey. I am here. You will have the most fan-yummy-tastic breakfast as often as I can make it'" she squeezed her hands. Caroline just hugged her and kissed her cheeks. She knew how much she longed for a girl of her own and Sonia made her feel as if she was her own child.

They all settled down to a quiet meal. Ian came in after a few minutes grumpy from his lack of sleep. He frowned as the smell hit his nose, "Mom? You made pancakes?" he asked looking down at his plate as Caroline served him the food. He took a bite but stayed quiet, frowning at his mom. Caroline just raised her eyebrows, "What?" she asked.

"You made this?" he asked disbelief in his voice.

"You think I made it?" she retorted.

His eyes widened as realization hit him. He jumped up from his seat and kneeled down in front of Sonia, "Thank You so much my love. I promise, I will never hurt you, I will always protect you from any harm, and I will even eat the tuna casserole you make," he scrunched up his face at that.

Everyone burst out laughing at that but Ian swallowed feeling uneasy as he felt a little honesty in his own words.

***
Second lecture was Economics. Sonia settled in her seat as Eric's friends came in but not him. The lecture started.

Halfway through, Eric came rushing in.

"Sorry Sir. The car broke."

The professor nodded and waved him inside. Eric came over and settled in his seat besides Sonia.

Sonia watched him as he breathed heavily looking down at the desk. The professor carried on with his notes as the class settled back.

"Are you okay?" she asked after a while in a hushed whisper.

When he didn't reply, she put her hand on his arm. He looked at her hand and turned to face her.

"Are you alright?" she asked again. He shook his head in answer. She frowned at his reply making him sigh. He opened his mouth but the professor was busy with the percentages, so he simply got out his book and scribbled something on her and shuffled it to her.

She looked at his phone number on the paper.

"Give me a ring," he whispered at her questioning look.